Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

F4 Oil filter

Jenx

Enthusiast
Hi all
I live in France and have just this weekend bought a 1980 F4 Fourgonette.I've decided to give it a service and have found it doesn't have an oil filter!!Where it should be (under the fuel pump) there is just a sort of what looks to be a blanking plate with a sort of bolt head.Is this some sort of anomoly?is it an internal oil filter of some sort and if I was to unscrew it would the thread be there for a canister filter.Hope someone knows something!!I've attached a photo of the "part"
Thanks very much.
Jenx

• DSCF0121.JPG
    DSCF0121.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 281
That's very strange. Looks like you don't have an oil filter at all just now. Probably you can unscrew it and replace it with the ordinary canister filter.

Keep an eye on the oil pressure - only part of the oil goes through the filter so just possbily it was blanked off to try to increase oil pressure (although it shouldn't make a lot of difference).

Thanks
I thought it was strange also.I'll pick up a filter tomorrow and give it a go(although I don't know how I'll keep an eye on the oil pressure!!!)
Thanks again
Paul

Oil pressure probably won't be a problem. The only indictor on the 4 is a low pressure warning light that might come on at hot idle if the pressure is a bit low. Thes are hardy engines operating at low power so don't tend to have problems.

More likely someone was halfway through an oil change and found they'd bought the wrong filter.

Cheers
Amazingly it's only done 65000 km with 1 owner so I don't know how many oil changes it's had.Thanks for your help and congrats on a great site.I'm sure it'll be really useful and anything I find I'll stick on here.
Thanks again
Paul

The Haynes manual suggests 0.55mm to 0.65mm for the 850cc engines. Seems a narrow gap. Maybe they run hot plugs?

Thanks very much.I'll see how it goes with that and also try and get a manual off ebay maybe.
Cheers again

What a day!First of all I went back to a local garage who said they could not locate a part( clutch plate )that needs changing and I would have to go to Renault!So I've now got to pay 570 euros to have a new clutch fitted(and no they won't supply part only!).
So I gave her an oil change, air filter, spark plugs(gap(0.6) was spot-on) and went to fit oil filter.No chance.Took off blanking plate and instead of a male thread to connect my 15 euro!!! oil filter to I find it's the blanking plate that has the male thread(pics attached).So needless to say the blanking plate is back on!So no idea what I'll do for an oil filter.
Anyway thanks for help so far.
Paul

• DSCF0122.JPG
    DSCF0122.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCF0124.JPG
    DSCF0124.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 272
That sort of thing is really annoying. In the UK we have the "JD Power car survey" which lists Renault right at the bottom for dealer service. Why on earth do they insist on fitting your clutch rather than just supplying the 30 euro clutch plate?

That's it. I'm going to email them a photo of the Renault 4 (I'm sure they've forgotten what it is), and I'm going to email them a photo of the insides of a typical owner's wallet (mine has evidence of moths). Come on Renault, don't try to profiteer from the 4, surely there aren't enough of them left to make it worth your while.

I can ask my local motor factors if they can supply a clutch plate. Do you have the 850cc engine?

Does the thread unscrew from that blanking plate? Otherwise does anyone have an 850 engine that could mail one?

That blanking plate is a cost saving measure used to delete the oil filter on certain models of the three and five main bearing motors. I’ve only ever seen them in parts catalogues and from memory they were only used on the French market versions. Overall it probably cost more to make a separate blanking plate and plug than just provide a filter! At least there is a provision for an oil filter on your three bearing motor :-).

There is a hollow threaded piece that screws into the block providing a thread for the filter to screw onto that can be purchased from Renault (or pinched from a scrappy). The part number is 7700556153, this is for the early 3/4" (19mm) thread extension. Renault changed from the 3/4" (19mm) thread to a 20mm thread in around 1983, so you will have to obtain a threaded piece from a pre 1983 motor for your 1980 car. However, there is also a double ended threaded piece that is 19mm on one end and 20mm on the other end, that was used on early type 19mm blocks and allowed them to take the late type 20mm filters. If you are lucky you may find one of these, as they will allow you to use the late type filter which may be more common or cheaper. I’ll post up the part number for the double ender later on when I have it to hand.

Once you have obtained your threaded piece, make sure that you have the right filter. A late type 20mm filter screws loosely onto a 19mm thread extension, but it WILL come loose. So if you have a 19mm thread, make sure that you have an 19mm early type filter.

Thanks very much
The problem here in France is that universal car part manufacturers are not allowed to produce a generic part as they would be allowed to in UK so the dealers have got you by the short and curlys.Hopefully it should change soon.
In the meantime I'll just have to cough up 570 euros next Tuesday(you also have to sign a legally binding contract when you order parts and/or work!!)
Thanks Simon I'll try and order that thread but they'll probably want to fit that as well!
Wouldn't it have been extremely detrimental to the engine to just run with no filter(although mine seemingly has for the past 26 years albeit only 65000 kms)-it's absolutely incredible.I know 20/50 is sometimes used as "cleaning" oil but what do you think the logic behind it was?
Thanks for the part number(the oil filter I bought the other day is 19mm).
A plus point is it passed it's CT(a sort of 2 yearly MOT) today.Hurrah!
Thanks again
Paul

Hi Jenx, I used to work for Renault in France during the mid to late 80's, Its an addiction you never lose !!!!!!!!! I have encountered this before and ther is a simple remedy. Depending on your oval number and engine code, there is a double threaded adaptor, the part numbers are as follows, Internal thread 19mm, 9151668680, just under £5, int thread 20mm, 7700727684, under £5, and 7700725923, again 19mm, but slightly longer, That one is around £16. If you can give me your numbers, I should be able to tell you which one it is. As for your clutch, I can get hold of a full 3 piece kit from Renault for under £60, again according to your numbers, it should be either 7711134049 or ends in 48. If you have any problems or they are much dearer in France, I come over to get 4 and 5 mk 1 bits every six weeks or so, Hope this helps, Chris, TRACBAR245. Ps checkout Mike from Spains oild 4, now named FIFI

Cheers John Doe!!
Thanks Chris-Problem is I've already signed the Devis for the clutch work so I think I'm stuck there.Pity I didn't hold on a while.Interesting about the thread adaptors though.How could I get hold of one without going to Renault here?
Cheers
Paul

By the way something I meant to ask earlier.When I bought the old girl there was a sticker on the dash saying "essence 98".
Essence in french is just petrol .You can get sans plomb(lead-free)98 & 95 and super which I presume is the nearest thing to 4 star you can get.Since I bought her I've just stuck 20 euros worth of super in with no probs yet!!
Is this the correct fuel.
Cheers
Paul

That is a nice looking van!

The part number 7700725923 is the double ended 19/20mm adaptor (see attached pics). Probably the best solution as it allows you to use the later oil filter which may be more common. I bought my adaptor from Marchants Garage in Tunbridge Wells (are they the same as Whitehorse Renault?) for my other car when the 19mm filters become less common.

As for the fuel, what is the engine type stamped on the plate on the block, it may be a high compression motor which requires the 98 octane fuel.

• DSC01835.JPG
    DSC01835.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC01837.JPG
    DSC01837.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 219
Jenx said:
It seems the engine type is - 839 A 7/06

It has a 782cc motor.

The standard compression ratio is 8.5:1, and it is specified that the minimum octane required is 90.

The standard cylinder head height should be 93.5mm, with a minimum of 95.

Back