Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fan switch 1989 r4

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
My fan switch is toast, what switch do I need as it's got some strange coil on the back.

Regards Richard

• 20170419_130313.jpg
    20170419_130313.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 10
Same as mine, Richard. Der Franzose lists No.85042 but this looks more like one of the rockers switches on the side of the dashboard. Look in the 'Search' box, top right on this page, as there are posts on this switch.

Does this switch simply turn the fan on and off (no two stage fan speeds?) I cant work out why the one in the car has a resistance coil on it.. unless the new ones 85042 have it but it's hidden in the casing.

No, it is a two-stage switch for a 2-speed fan. The Der Franzose switch looks nothing like the one we are discussing, doesn't it? The coil is a resistor and presumable takes any heat away from the switch terminals. But what do I know when electrics come into the conversation. Hopefully Andrew4Renaults will read this and off his words of advice. He quickly fixed my trailer lights.

The coil is indeed a resistor. It is used to divert power away from the fan motor (M) when you want the fan to run more slowly. That is, when on the lower of the two fan speeds (1), current is passed through the resistor, causing a voltage drop across it so that the voltage across the motor is less (causing it to turn more slowly). When the higher fan speed is required (2), the resistor is bypassed.

Fan.png

Last edited:
so assume that the switch 85042 on Franzose won't work then ? or will it ?

What's odd is that in your photo there are only two wires. For a two-speed fan there should be three wires. Did your fan ever work as a two-speed fan, or was it only on/off?

Richard
I've found the switch you require in the Der Franzose catalogue - I just can't get on with their online catalogue - and it is No.85058 (11.57euros). Should you ever buy anything from Der Franzose, ask them for a free copy of their 350 page catalogue for the Renault 4 (Part no.89991 in English). Fascinating reading and far easier to cope with than the online version. jjad, I pulled my heater fan switch out and it has just two wires.

Thanks Paul / JJAD I indeed have a copy of the Der Franzose catalogue, I have already spent 400euro with them since Sunday ! so I shall have to add a couple more things like the heater switch to the next order :-) thanks everyone :-)

Two wires does make sense actually. Thanks for confirming.

What is happening with switch?

I had problem with rocker part of switch. Could not press it to start fan working.
Opened it and adjust contacts inside switch, and switch is continued to do his duty (turning fan on/off).
Still working.

If resistor is broken then there is not much of help.

There should be only two wires.

Back