Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

faulty steering

allymac

Hi all new to this and probably no idea what i am doing but i have a big problem with my renault laguna dynamique ide 2002 the steering has all but gone you need super strength to turn the wheel on top of which the warning panel has the stop sign lit and the battery light lit what could be the problem???

Well worth checking that all the belts at the front are OK and all the pulleys turn at idle. The thing that sprang to mind for me was a lack of fluid in the power steering pump reservoir.

I'd not run a modern car after the stop sign comes on - could break the bits it's complaining about and get a little expensive. I think you can get Haynes manuals for them which are handy for the checks you can do and the monthly top ups.

thanks

Thank you both for your response and time i just looked under the bonnet (as iam not really any use apart from oil and water) and you are bang on correct the big belt that goes round the altenator and steering pump has come off. many thanks

you are very lucky as usually the end result of this happening is bits of auxillary belt ending up in cambelt cover and then a dead engine due to cambelt failure
i bought an 04 laguna last year as scrap for £100 because garage quoted £3500 to repair !!

realise your knowledge of cars is limited but may be worth checking cambelt incase any shredded parts are hiding under cover waiting to cause problems

thanks

thanks for that ive got it booked in this morning so ill get them to check....on the belt itself its really almost undamaged somehow and basically still in one peice apart from a really small area of damage. Many thanks for all your advice it has been really helpful.:D

This happened to my mondeo, belt was replaced and broke almost immediately, ended up paying out for tensioner/pulleys as well, hope it's not too expensive!

This happened to my mondeo, belt was replaced and broke almost immediately, ended up paying out for tensioner/pulleys as well, hope it's not too expensive!

Had the belt done 15 quid for the belt and 15 quid to have it fitted so i think i got off lightly so far however the guy at the garage is not sure what caused it to come off in the first place as it wasnt snapped or any thing and it looked like it had been catching on something so he has told me to keep checking it!
I must admit the renaults seem to be a bit quirky with the electronics as sometimes the abs light stays on along with the traction control light and serv light but when you stop and take the card out and retry it runs normal !! I had it serviced only a month ago so it mistifies me at times as i never know whether to be worried or not.

Back