Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

First time Renault 4l buyer

Cowhorns

Enthusiast
Hi I live in France and want to get myself a R4 van. I have found an '84 runner with goodish bodywork but it is an F4 with a small engine. That fine for now but will eventually want to upgrade this engine probably to either the Cleon 1100 or even a R5 TL. Some dumb questions coming up....I have little or no skills as a mechanic but am interested in learning.
1. Is there anything major that would stop me taking out the old engine and dropping in either of the above engines and their gearbox? I will have some decent help so my lack of skills aside is there a showstopper I should be aware of?
2. If I put in an R5 TL with its gear box will i still keep the dash mounted gearstick?

There will be more dumb questions I imagine.

Hi

The R4GTL (1108cc) engine and the R5TL engine (mark I,not new shape R5) will fit. In addition, you will need the cross member which straddles both inner wings from a 4gtl, the battery plate from a 4gtl, the engine mountings from a 4gtl and their mounting plates which bolt to the chassis, a 4gtl radiator and hoses.There might be one or two more parts you need from a 4gtl to complete the upgrade but certainly do-able.

Thanks for this. Not something for now but wanted to keep my options open.

May want to improve the front brakes if they are drum, and you have a faster motor. Maybe a GTL dic set up.

It's a more complicated swap than it immediately seems as you will have to redo the handbrake, brakes, cooling pipes, radiator, bonnet etcetera.
You may find that the GTL gearbox has gear ratios that are too long after fitting and you don't like the performance, and that the handling is different if you had gotten used to the original 845 F4..
It will be much easier if you have a complete GTL or F6 wrecker to just swap the whole lot over.

However assuming you live in France where 4's are easier to come by, it would more sensible if you haven't already bought the vehicle to seek out an 1108cc 4 and not bother with the swap at all..

Last edited:
Back