Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Flooding carb

Ade916

Enthusiast
Hi Folks
Newbe here. My missus 1974 Renault 4tl sits in its home perhaps a little too much as today i went to start it and petrol was running out the carb onto the manifold. I haven't stripped the carb down......yet. I surmising a sticking float needle...???

Any advice is very welcome.

Cheers
Ade

Try taking off the fuel pipe and with another piece of hose, connect to the carb (unless you like the taste of petrol). Blow through the pipe while tapping (with something metallic....not a hammer!) the top of the carburettor in the area where the needle valve would be. This may be enough to free off the valve, if not remove the top pf the carb and clean out the needle valve seat (PS dictated by my OH!)

Thanks for the tip. What i did was to remove the top of the carb as carefully as possible. Luckily It came off with the gasket intact. I noticed the float was submerged in the float bowl. The bowl was full of petrol. It appeared to me the two lugs of the float (that sit in their respective slots in the carb body) were " slightly jammed" in their slots. IE The float would sit at any angle and stay put. There was definitely enough clearance between either side (lug diameter) as i could freely move each lug up and down its slot in the carb body. The problem was the lugs would catch at each end in their slots. I clean out the float bowl then dressed each end of the float lugs with some 1200 wet and dry. I did this a few times until i had the float moving freely up and down in the slots. I checked the float needle which seemed to be doing what its meant to. Put the carb top cover on and all appears good. IE not P@£$ing petrol out all over the manifold. I fitted a universal inline filter as i noticed there was some debris in the bottom of the float bowl.

• IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 1
Back