Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

French CT Rules for Classics

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
The R4s I've bought from France have been completely un-roadworthy. The French could go for a Classic registration that made the cars CT exempt but limited them to driving only in their own department.

I understand there has been a change recently and classics now have to go through the CT every 5 years or so and can drive in other departments. My French language skills are very poor so this is just a guess.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm thinking the cars I've bought would have taken a fortune to get past the CT and similar ones might be sold off cheaply at some point if the owners have to go to the trouble.

I've only taken two cars for CT's in France, neither would have passed here and they both passed over there ;)

They do tend to write every little detail down like brake lines having a teeny tiny bit of perishing, and they are pedantic about them having the right tyres and even check the tyre pressures! (at least they get checked once every two years at least ;) )

CT for classics

You are right about the changes. About 2 years ago the new changes were introduced - previously no MOT and driving limited to your department AND neighbouring depts. Now an MOT every 5 years but no restrictions on use. In a typically French way they introduced the changes for previously registered "collection" cars by saying that if your car has a uneven numberplate (eg 3255 RH 34) then it needs an MOT the first year. If it has an even plate (eg 3256 RH 34) then it was the second year.

I have always found a CT far easier to pass than an MOT, a lot of things are recorded, but only the major ones need a retest. Wipers, washers, wheel bearing play, uneven handbrake etc are highlighted to be repaired but you do not go back. Even a completely rotten floor and useless shocks (so long as they have not leaked) will pass !

They are very keen on the CO2 and brakes and even with "vehicules de collection" I get very little leeway on the gases - I now take out the airfilter and make the carb as weak as poss, then readjust as soon as he has finished so I can drive away ....

The other nice thing is that with even "serious" faults, you have 2 months CT before you have to return , meaning you can use the car in the interim. If like me you leave the CT/MOT until the last minute this is quite useful!

Or you can buy a wreck get a "provisional" CT and drive it back to England.

Anything over 30 years old can be changed to 'voiture de collection' and go on to the CT every 5 years system. Apparently its not as strict as the CT for more modern cars.
The last 4 we had passed the CT despite having 2 holes near the rear suspension that you could get your fist in - it went off to be welded up a couple of days after the CT, and lasted till the next one where it had gone past the point of economic repair.
Simon and Juliet - there's no point going and getting the CT done before it runs out, our CT station always books it in on the last possible day anyway!
The 2 months to repair it always starts from the day the test is done, and if it needs a contre visite you do not get the balance of the old CT plus the 2 months to sort it out.
For an example of the sort of things that cars fail on here's the list for our Citroen Visa Convertible that went for a test this week:-
Needing a contre visite (go back within 2 months to check its done and get the full certificate)
No chassis number stamped on inner wing (must have had wing changed at some point)
Leak in fuel system (hose between fuel pump and carb)
Unable to test lambda value and exhaust fumes (leak in fuel system)
Faults to correct without needing contre visite
Leak in steering rack (one of the bellows is perished)
Crack in rear indicator lens
Reversing lights - anomaly in function
Noisy front wheel bearing
Slight drag on rear wheel
Irregular wear on one tyre
Rust on chassis - its got a couple of small holes in the chassis strengtheners
Rusty door
Crack in rear bumper (only a small one)
Some rust on bodywork
Oil leak on engine
Defective bellows on driveshaft.

Nothing too much to worry about - it will all get done over the winter (when I've got a garage to do it in) :)

Sounds like a good system - MOT every year is a pain especially for that MG of mine which I keep meaning to sell and whose annual mileage is the same as the distance to the MOT station and back.

What's to make people fix the problems highlighted in the CT? Sounds a bit scary to say you've got cracked brake hoses please fix them and see you in 5 years. :eek: That Rodeo I just bought needs all new brake and suspension bits - though last CT was years ago. Perhaps the new rules were one reason for the sale.

You are not obliged to fix the recomendations,i just took a car in with sloppy bottom swivels,a clonky driveshaft and split gaiters and two large holes in the floor,and it is now good for another five years,thats life,as they say here.(in French).

After 5 years do you need to have fixed all the life threatening bits and pieces or do you just get friendly recommendations again?

Friendly recommendations all over again in my experience ;)

I've taken a couple of cars for CT which were practically non runners, an f4 with shot piston rings and back door welded temporarily shut which I just about managed to get ticking over, but which used as much oil as fuel, result? Pass. Ami 8 with no starter motor, door handles or wipers, result? Pass. I even got an "advisory" to say my brake lights didn't work (the fuse had gone) on my tl but it wasn't considered failworthy. And yet you hear of tl's being failed for having van tyres. It's all about knowing the rules, I popped a set of 135's back on the tl for the ct then switched them back after, just to be on the safe side.

No you dont have to do the work unless you want to and the French dont normally bother as they have their sticker in the window,also it is generally expensive in parts here and they have other priorites.

Thanks, good to have an understanding of the system. Not going to be much less work upgrading cars bought in France for the UK MOT in the future. :D

It's only a small pain. Much less rust around over there on the cars I'd buy which makes up for the effort. Not convinced the system is any more daft than the UK one.

Back