Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

French Love

Crossbow

Enthusiast
Hi everyone

I've been registered here for just over a month now and thought I'd share some Renault experiences with you.

My mum and dad bought a 4TL new back in 1974 (in metallic brown) to replace a Fiat 128 because of the fuel crisis and because they were about to embark on a house refurbishment. I was 20 at the time and was allowed to use it and that is where my love for these wonderful cars came from although I also loved the Dyane my brother had too. The R4 was eventually replaced about 5 years later with a 5GTL which was posher trim, 1300cc and long legged gearing. It was also a great car but not quite as loveable as the R4.

Fast forward to the mid 80s and I bought an R4 M reg for £100 with 40 odd thousand miles in white. It lasted a year of my then wife thrashing it to within an inch of its life until it failed its mot so I gave it to a friend.

At the end of the eighties I bought a 4GTL which was also wonderful but I never liked it quite as much as those earlier 850cc 4s. I think it was all the plastic and the dash that spoilt it for me compared to the earlier cars.

Also in the eighties we had a 16 with a sun roof which was great for long journeys but I can't remember when I last saw one of those.

Various 2cv/Dyane/Ami Citroens have also been in the mix too and a modern Berlingo for many years and I do still like French cars. I now have a Dyane but still have a yearning for a 4TL to take me back to my past and nearly bought one from this forum recently. Maybe another will turn up.

I am enjoying this site and just thought I'd share my interest with you.

John

Hello John, it's nice to share your happy memories of your love for French cars. There is something a bit special about them, that's for sure. Derek Flavell at Renospeed had a beautiful white early 70s 4tl for sale back in the summer, he might still have it, perhaps it's worth a try, it might be just the car you are looking for. Good luck with your quest. Brian.

Back