Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

French scrapyards

Azazello

habitué
I do not know if it is the right place to post such a question, but someone could answer my question: How do french scrapyards work? Are they easy to find and can I have a look around to do some shopping? Do they collect old cars or throw the cars away after a few days they arrive? Some useful address to visit and look for pieces (r4-r5)?
Just to organize our french trip...
Thanks!

Don't know tbh but from what I have seen they vary in as much as they do here - some strip the valuable parts and weigh the rest in immediately, others let the car rest in the yard for many years.

However, if anyone fancies a trip to a local scrapyard this Saturday I'd definately be up for that :cool:

Yes, let's organize it...
What's the french word for scrapyard? My pocket dictionary turns out useless in this case... I have to wait for my mother to ask...

Anyone with his shopping list...

Pepper, you opened me a big door, I think, with this key-search... another night in front of the monitor, it seems...

Look out for 'casse auto' signs, you could look in the PagesJaune first.

There is even this page, but they want to be paid!
Strange people...
I will have a look on the pagesjaune and make a list of the scrapyards near thenay... Thanks P&P!

Just off to my local casse to find a set of seats & door mirrors to finish the military 4. There are at least a dozen there right at the back so they don't get disturbed too much!

I don't believe it. You boys are driving all that way to have a fantastic week-end in the company of hundreds of enthusiasts of the R4. To see so many beautiful cars, and their beautiful owners, not to mention the beautiful French scenery, and you're off to scrapyards?:lol:

Hey nowt wrong with a day out in a scrap yard!

When I was younger, my step mother and I couldn't get on and my Dad and I used to meet at a local scrap yard weekly, have a wander round looking at the vehicles and have a good chin wag!

My step Mum wouldn't go near a scrappie so we were left in peace ;)

Its a man thing, scrap yards, there not what they used to be in the UK, all lined up, and stacked neatly, You could spend hours in them, bumping into other like minded souls, excuse me, would you happen to have a half inch AF spanner i could borrow, i need two, sure, have you got a quarter whitworth in return, working on a morris thousand, happy days, tearing your jeans on an old bumper,
always seemed sunny too, I'm drifting off here, :D

Disorder is a south-thing, it seems... in Italy they are more similar to car cemetery, even the owner does not know what there is... "Do you have a r4?" "No, they're old, no more seen from long time..." "Can I have a look?" And you will end finding two of them in a far corner...

Its a man thing, scrap yards, there not what they used to be in the UK, all lined up, and stacked neatly, You could spend hours in them, bumping into other like minded souls, excuse me, would you happen to have a half inch AF spanner i could borrow, i need two, sure, have you got a quarter whitworth in return, working on a morris thousand, happy days, tearing your jeans on an old bumper,
always seemed sunny too, I'm drifting off here, :D
I quite agree, I used to do the same. The sad thing is there are not many yards now where you can get to the cars to strip bits off, let alone have a look around. Bloody elf n safety! Plus it's all modern stuff now, the old bangers have all gone. Maybe France is different.

I'm lucky in that our local yard is still letting us walk amongst the cars, and even has a corner for the older models!

Back