Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

French Style/Font pressed steel number plates

Lianne

Enthusiast
Hello all

My R4 will be moving back to French France soon (but is English registered so back for MOT!).

Does anyone know if I can get French font pressed steel plates here in UK to replace my bog standard DVLA ugly plastic ones please?

I have found suppliers of pressed steel plates but they only come with English font.... I suppose I could wait until I get it back to France but would like them earlier if poss...........and before anyone says, I know they would be technically "show plates" but happy to take the risk!

Any help gratefully received.

Hello all

My R4 will be moving back to French France soon (but is English registered so back for MOT!).

Does anyone know if I can get French font pressed steel plates here in UK to replace my bog standard DVLA ugly plastic ones please?

I have found suppliers of pressed steel plates but they only come with English font.... I suppose I could wait until I get it back to France but would like them earlier if poss...........and before anyone says, I know they would be technically "show plates" but happy to take the risk!

Any help gratefully received.
http://www.maillefaud-robri.com/ will supply to UK made some for my 4cv.

That's very helpful. Was yours an English registration and did they accept the English reg document?
Just had a look at the site, which did you go for.....if you can remember?
Ps thank you.....have spent the afternoon on the net and got nowhere!

Some years ago a friend wanted pressed alloy B&W numberplates for his 2CV. On a cross-channel day trip he got a set made at one of the hyper markets, perhaps Cite Europe? No docs needed then.

Last edited:
So apart from them not being in the correct French font and not being black and white/aluminium, they nearly fit the bill then?

Hi Lianne, my car has French style number plates, made of pressed aluminium, sorry, I don't know where the previous owner got them, but at least they are available. Regards Brian.

• DSC_0622.JPG
    DSC_0622.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi Brian, that's exactly what I want! Might have to ask in France I think.

Hi Lianne, the chap I bought the car from is on the forum, his name is snailshed, maybe pm him?

Good idea... I will but on looking him up he hasn't been on the forum since Jan, but worth a try!

I bought mine from here; they delivered to Ireland. They have lasted the past 7 years of Irish weather very well

https://www.plaque-immatriculation-auto.com/
Hi Richard
Thank you for that. I have looked at the site but I can't seem to get it to accept an English registration on their online ordering. I would email but can't see an email address and not sure my French is good enough for over the phone queries!

Did you have any problems or can give me any tips?

Hi Cornish4.....guess what, all good but they only do the linear style not the rear squarish style! :(
Thank you anyway!

Hi Lianne, might be worth phoning them. There's another firm called literally, French Number Plates, might be worth giving them a call too. Good luck, regards Brian.

Hi Richard
Thank you for that. I have looked at the site but I can't seem to get it to accept an English registration on their online ordering. I would email but can't see an email address and not sure my French is good enough for over the phone queries!

Did you have any problems or can give me any tips?

They have an option to put in 'Texte libre' instead of the AA-000-AA or the older 0000-AA-00 french formats. But when you click on the 'Texte libre', it won't let you put it in - not sure why this is.

Their email is sav[at]groupe-mpa.fr but you might have better luck phoning them?

Back