Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

From scrap to adventure

4Latas

Enthusiast
I have been around Renault 4s since I can remember. I am portuguese, but i live in the UK. There are many R4s in my country. I came across this forum while searching a replacement engine for my Renault 4, because I "melted" my previous 845 cc while on a raid to Morocco.

My Renault 4 is a 1980 , with the "new" grille in the bonnet, but still with the old stile dash, and the ubiquitous 845 cc engine. I was thinking in what could I use to make it more reliable and desert-resistant. I will miss the 2011 raid that will start tomorrow, but that leaves me with a year to prepare my steed.

This R4 was given to me some years ago to...( get ready for this)...get cut in half to make a trailer! Unfortunatelly, and due to the great number of disposable R4s in Portugal, this is a common practise. But because it was a vintage model, I decided to restore it, and install a winch and a roof rack, to go to Morocco to the sand dunes. I made my trip back ( about 600 Miles) on 3 cylinders, and adding water in the petrol stations.

I would like to bore you to death talking about R4s, if you dont mind, and learn a bit with you too. Thank you.

By the way, "4 latas" is the friendly nickname R4s are know in Portugal , meaning " four straight bits of tin", an allusion to its simplicity. They are also konw as " Jeep dos pobres",meaning " Skint men Jeep"

Its organized by the " Confraria Amigos 4L" * ( The friends of 4 L society), they are on Facebook and have also their own website

http://amigos4l.home.sapo.pt/index1.html

I hope I have everything ready to go 2012, as i need a complete engine swap and major overhaul of the car.

Thank you for replying.

It looks cool :) I think I will do the French "4L Trophy" which starts from Paris in February. The reason I'm waiting till 2013 is because my 4L needs major chassis work before it will be safe for rallying.

It's sad to reckon I am too old for this fascinating stuff...

You're not the only one feels like that!

I was watching a thing on Renault TV about the 4L Trophy 2011 last night. Looks like loads of fun. Wish I could have done that.

Some of these rallies are only for students, but not all. Look at the Plymouth-Dakar, for example. That is a true banger rally, where you don't expect the car to survive a return journey (I would not take my beloved 4L!).

Edit: Or did you mean you're too sensible to do something like that?

Back