Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front seats

RuffianDick

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

I managed to get a LHD R4 for the mongol rally a few months ago. The trouble is the non reclining, non head rest front seats are less than idea for the 10,000 mile journey!

This might be a long shot but has anyone got a set of the head rested, reclining GTL seats for sale? ( i know they exist, ive seen them!) Condition is not important, in fact cost is more of an issue so poor condition and low price would suit us, but would consider any.

Failing that has anyone had any success fitting non renault 4 seats into an r4? How possible do you think this is?

Thanks

Think headrests are quite hard to get hold of, they may have been an extra.

I have one on my car and would like another but haven't seen any for sale.

Good luck!

I have used clio front seats in my sons car although they are a little higher, I am built like the proverbial brick toilet and I can still drive it happily
Its not a great picture but gives you an idea.
They are bulkier for rear passengers too but if its for a raid that should nt worry you
2a220580.jpg

ah they would be much easy to get hold of! Both myself and my fellow team mate are on the shorter side of average, so I dont think the height will be a problem.

How much of a pain were they to fit? Do you have any tips for fitting them? Do you know what year/model clio they were?

Cheers
Rich

I am sorry I don't know the year of the Clio
They were ALMOST a perfect fit, They had welded bolts in the runner which i cut out and re-drilled the hole for a normal bolt,
The runners nearest the door fitted the best although the front of the runner I just cut off the bolt and used the hole in front of it
The inside runner fitted the bracket at the front but depending on how much sliding adjustment you want, you may, as I did, need to make up a bracket that bolts into the seat belt mounting on the floor.
If you have short legs it will bolt straight onto the original mounting brackets and only give a little movement. Its trial and error I am afraid

looking at pics would say they are 98 onwards clio 2 /3
likely to be more expensive than clio 1 ie 1990 - 97
floor pan on clio 1 means that 1 runner is higher than other so may be tricky
usual trick used to be 5 mk1 which went straight in
havent tried 5 mk2 but both are now almost as rare as 4s in uk scrapyards !!
depending where your handbrake is (floor or dash) width is first consideration
paul

To make up the difference in runner height I used rectangle box section of about 25mm sorry forgot to mention that
It only took me a mornings work to get it right though
When I bought the F4 it had one beige seat with high back but stepped lower shoulders what was this from, it fitted on the original mounting points

well my french friend
they were the 5 mk1 seats ( 79 onwards gtls ts gordini and tx) as pictured in this thread i mentioned just now which bolt straight in although 3dr ones trickier but useful for vans )
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1644
maybe some left in deep south france but thin on ground here now

i have clio leather front seats in mine...removed clio seat runners and fitted seats to renault 4 runners...

easy

andrew

Hi all,
just got hold of some clio 1 seats (40euro from scappies) and read greeneys post, before i go ahead and fit them as anybody got any more tips? thanks

hi..

i fitted some clio baccara seats in my 4.

a bit fidley but they went in using the original runners on the clio seats..

on the inner bolts you may have to grind out and replace with longer bolts and space out as my seats lean inwards and i havent had time to do this yet

good luck

andrew

still trying to get it right, not had much time lately. Following greeney advice as I don't want seats to slant inwards, have all parts and metal, drilled out old bolts, just trying to find time to finish it at the minute. Think if I was to do it again i would look for better matching seats.

Chris

Will take pics when finished might not be for a month or so though, because decided to repaint floor pan and maybe fit carpets and sound insulation, has anybody got any advice?

still trying to get it right, not had much time lately. Following greeney advice as I don't want seats to slant inwards, have all parts and metal, drilled out old bolts, just trying to find time to finish it at the minute. Think if I was to do it again i would look for better matching seats.

Chris

Will take pics when finished might not be for a month or so though, because decided to repaint floor pan and maybe fit carpets and sound insulation, has anybody got any advice?

Ok, cheers for the update. I'm still looking for seats for ours, been keepingmy eye out on ebay, need to get round to calling some breakers really.

There was one R5 MK1 seat on there there other day that I understand go straight in. shame there was only one :(

Back