Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

fuel gauge stopped working after charging battery?

Lou

Enthusiast
83 R4F6 van - After taking the battery off to charge overnight and put back, the fuel gauge and some instrument lights on the dash have now stopped working, all fuses fine, one thing after another it seems - have I blown something somewhere?

i faced interesting fenomen when changing to only 25liters new tank plus new sender(i suppose to fit the new 25 liters tank) and the old one was 40liters, now instrumen panel shows only half tank when full

Try wiggling all fuses with ignition switch on. Seems to me like a corroded fuse end - a classic with this type of fuse. I don't think it has something to do with the battery being put back on, there is nothing to blow on these cars!

The fuses are made of plastic and the ends get dirty with corrosion which then create heat which then melts the ends causing a poor connection answer clean up the fuse box contacts with a wire brush battery disconnected replace all fuses with new making sure they are the hard plastic type that don't melt if you experiment with a cigarette lighter

Thanks for the tips, will give it a try. I thought it might also be something to do with being so wet here with condensation on everything

Fuel gauge and various lights back to life now thanks, but getting poor running elsewhere - just posted about it on cowhorn thread

Back