Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

fuel pump

iancr900

Enthusiast
I think I've got a problem with the fuel pump on my gtl.can you take them apart?are they operated by a pushrod?
it runs fine sometimes and then all of a sudden starts cutting out.it does this whether the engine is hot or cold and in all weather,so I don't think it's icing or vapourization.
Help please !!

It has a lever in the base of the pump that operates off an eccentric on the cam, the lever directly operates the pump diaphragm.

The later type ones usually have the base crimped to the top half of the pump, so it can only be replaced and not pulled apart. The earlier types, and there are several, have the usual top half screwed to the bottom half, repair kits for the earlier pumps are verging on the unobtainable, and you have to know which pump you have, ie Guiot, SEV etc.....

I had the fuel pump replaced on my 1990 Clan recently, and it is a replacement rather than repair job.

I have a confession to make.I've just pulled out the old points and found that the static half(the bit you can't see when it's inplace)is pitted beyound belief.put in a new set and Bobs your uncle, its as smooth as it ever was!!I was so convinced it was a petrol problem that I've spent the last three weeks pulling the carb to bits,pulling off the fuel pipe and even taking off the new petrol cap to let air in.I should have stuck to basic fault finding. thanks for the help Simon & gpo

It's really easy to confuse ignition problems with fuel problems. Up to the point where it's best to change everything on the distributor before even thinking of messing with the carb.

I suspected a vacuum advance problem on my latest Renault, but it turned out to be extreme wear on the points. That and a lack of winter hot air feed to the carb - mostly sorted by tweaking out the mixture, but motorway journeys are a pain.

No problems Ian, that is why we are here on this forum! Another point that I thought that I would mention. When I had had the new carburettor installed, the car ran OK, but not as well as it had done prior to the problems starting. When I though initially that it was carb icing, I had banjo'd a bit of flexible plastic hose from the air filter housing to the exhaust. The diameter of this hose was about 5-7mm smaller than the original. When I removed this after the carb had been replaced, it was like it was a different car. The hose going to the air filter has to be the correct diameter, or you will lose a lot of performance!

10 miles into the trip and it started again, slight detour to the nearest town and fitted a condeser.390 miles latter still working!!!

Back