Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Tank Repair

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
My tank weeps fuel from around the join between the filler neck pipe and the tank. I don't fancy welding it up. Has anyone had any experience with any of these epoxy tank repairs?

Otherwise does anyone have a spare GTL fuel tank?

Hi Malcolm-if you scruff it up with coarse sand-paper and get it really clean epoxy should adhere,but i would recommend getting a new tank
for the longer run..both petrol and ethanol dissolves epoxy so best(est) get a good replacement tank... -Reid.

This was a tip used with repairing old motorcycle tanks. Fill to the brim with water then get the leak bronze welded. The water obviously prevents petrol fumes from exploding. Of course if the leak is bad, the water may prevent a decent weld.

I intend replacing my leaking original tank with a modern plastic tank from a Ford Fiesta. It will encroach on the spare wheel space to a degree but it means goodbye to corrosion problems and it provides more capacity. Expect updates over the summer months - I retire at the end of June. :-)

It might well be weldable. If I tip the tank on it's side and fill with water near to the filler neck that leaves a very small space for the explosion and a filler pipe to relieve the pressure. You do need to fill with water to reduce the space available for gas explosions and also leave an air connected gap for any explosion to exit. It needs to be an air gap as a water filled gap move fast enough.

I'm risk adverse these days and don't like welding petrol tanks. I would rather make a new one. I'll try the usual suspects to see if they have a spare.

Hi Malcolm,
I know they can and have been welded but if it's corroded to much it's a losing battle and i prefer to be on the side of caution nowadays, i think i may have a spare one, but i will check tomorrow :-)

We clean them out with water, then run an exhaust into the tank whilst working to fill it with carbon monoxide, weld outside to keep the fumes away.

We clean them out with water, then run an exhaust into the tank whilst working to fill it with carbon monoxide, weld outside to keep the fumes away.
Dammed ingenious!!!!

It would be easier to just swap the tank for a spare. Let me know if you find one Bobble.

Hi malcolm, yes i have one but does't have a fuel gauge sender, just need a good clean :-)

I think I might have a spare melcolm from the tl i broke, I'll check my lockup weds when I drop off my new motorbike (opps)

Hi malcolm, yes i have one but does't have a fuel gauge sender, just need a good clean :-)
Fantastic. I'll arrange to pop up at some point next month if you are around. Sender is no problem - do you need any?

Good to have the GTL tank rather than TL as the GTL one is bigger and my wngine is thirsty.

that's ok just let me know a day in advance, could do with an extra sender if you have a spare one :-)

Its a soldered joint, standard solder found in any electronics kit.

The two i've cleaned up (My van and red car) have been cracked around the joint, not leaking however - I resoldered them with a blow torch - quite easy to do but don't heat it too much as there's nothing else holding it in !
(The tank is even already tinned which makes it easier)

I'm sending leaking fuel tanks to a shop where they solder them using a soldering iron, not a blowtorch. There have been a lot of stories of fuel tanks exploding when someone tried to do a repair.

My tank weeps fuel from around the join between the filler neck pipe and the tank. I don't fancy welding it up. Has anyone had any experience with any of these epoxy tank repairs?

Otherwise does anyone have a spare GTL fuel tank?

Hi Malcolm, I used 'tank seal' on my old A35 fuel tank, works brilliantly, I can give you further details later, if you are interested?
Steve

I've welded a few tanks, as long as they are washed out well and left to vent, I've welded them dry!
If they don't smell of fuel, there isn't much risk left, but a small amount of water left in bottom of tank will do no harm. If the tank is too full, it can affect the welding process. This is a bit like trying to solder a pipe with water in it, it cools as quick as you can heat it!:hug:

Back