Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gear Knob Removal

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Silly question maybe??
The gear knob on my F4 van is loose and rotates.
No matter how I try I cannot find a way to tighten it into it's correct position.
Assistance for an old codger please. Thanks

Hi Tom, a small amount of insulation tape applied to the gear- stick should tighten the knob. Someone has done it on my car, and it seems to do the trick.

Hi Tom, a small amount of insulation tape applied to the gear- stick should tighten the knob. Someone has done it on my car, and it seems to do the trick.
Hello there. Appreciate your comment. Still interested in how the knob itself is released though? Thanks Tom

there's a serrated section on the stick under the knob,you might try heating the knob up and then pull it off-takes a bit of force
when off you sand the stick a bit so knob will slide easily on again,then fill some 2 comp Araldite into the hole slide knob on,
position it and let sit upside down for a few hours.. -R.

there's a serrated section on the stick under the knob,you might try heating the knob up and then pull it off-takes a bit of force
when off you sand the stick a bit so knob will slide easily on again,then fill some 2 comp Araldite into the hole slide knob on,
position it and let sit upside down for a few hours.. -R.
Thanks for the information. Appreciated.

Or undo linkage in engone bay removing 2 10mm bolts rotate knob in car to upside down position and trickle super glue or loctite in gap between chrome and plastic make sure position correct leave overnight
Reassemble

Hi Tomcat look at my thread (somewhere) I did fix it good and proper with araldite. I had to saw the cap off the knob with a veneer/razor saw and glue back on again. Araldite slow cure type is the best fix - it's very irritating and noisy if they're loose. There could be a simpler way to remove by heating the metal hockey stick NOT the knob then pulling - or remove whole gearstick tip upside down and pour in araldite

Hi Tomcat look at my thread (somewhere) I did fix it good and proper with araldite. I had to saw the cap off the knob with a veneer/razor saw and glue back on again. Araldite slow cure type is the best fix - it's very irritating and noisy if they're loose. There could be a simpler way to remove by heating the metal hockey stick NOT the knob then pulling - or remove whole gearstick tip upside down and pour in araldite

Hi Jonathan-if you heat the stick wouldn't that expand so be even harder to get off? -If on other hand you heat knob (which goes over stick) knob-hole will ex-pand so make it roomier and easier to get off?? -anyways - as long as you get it off you're off!
dontknow.gif
:artist: -R.

Paul your method very good but substitute Araldite slow cure for the super glue. It's too brittle for the job ( I tried! )

Back