Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gear shift feel?

SamL

Enthusiast
I'm on my first R4 and suspect that the vague / hit-and miss quality to the gear shift on my car (to third in particular) is due to wear as well as the inherent lengthy linkages of the design, but wondered if someone within 30 or 40 miles of me in Cambridge might have a R4 I might sit in and just feel how the gear shift in their car feels compared to mine (and maybe have their view on my car's)? And or maybe there there are some parts (bushes?) that are known weka links that I should replace?

Happy Christmas!

Sam

Hi Sam

I would check both gear change bushes. Im assuming you have an R4gtl. One is located in the cross member which straddles and is bolted to the inner wings. The gear change rod passes through the center of the crossmember. There is one bush there. The other bush is located at the very end of the gear change rod in the circular end piece. This connects to the rod which protrudes in an upwards direction from the top of the gearbox. Both are prone to wear. In addition, there are two gear change springs which break/come adrift. One is located at the bulkhead end and is attached to the gear change rod via a large black circular piece of plastic. The spring hooks to the rocker cover at the other end. The second gear change spring is attached to the rod which protrudes from the top of the gearbox. There is a little circular hooking point on the rod. The spring is hooked at the other end to a flat metal supporting bar which is bolted to the cross member at one end and the subframe at the other end. If the bushes and springs are in good shape and in situ you should have a firm and responsive gear change.

Best Wishes

In addition to classic wear points jcarruthers2 mentioned, there is the pivot ball of the vertical part of the lever that may be worn.
An R4 normally has a very precise and smooth gearshift lever.

Angel if that is worn what is the solution ? also there is a spacer above the ball which can break up again what is the solution there does not appear to be any new ones available

Thanks for your responses
Hi Sam

I would check both gear change bushes. Im assuming you have an R4gtl. One is located in the cross member which straddles and is bolted to the inner wings. The gear change rod passes through the center of the crossmember. There is one bush there. The other bush is located at the very end of the gear change rod in the circular end piece. This connects to the rod which protrudes in an upwards direction from the top of the gearbox. Both are prone to wear. In addition, there are two gear change springs which break/come adrift. One is located at the bulkhead end and is attached to the gear change rod via a large black circular piece of plastic. The spring hooks to the rocker cover at the other end. The second gear change spring is attached to the rod which protrudes from the top of the gearbox. There is a little circular hooking point on the rod. The spring is hooked at the other end to a flat metal supporting bar which is bolted to the cross member at one end and the subframe at the other end. If the bushes and springs are in good shape and in situ you should have a firm and responsive gear change.

Best Wishes
J - thanks for your fulsome response to me here; the bush on the cross member has about 2mm of play in it, the more forward one maybe 3mm (and appears not 100% complete). So I expect I ought to replace both — please let me know if you have any suggestions on sourcing these. Spring loading the transverse movement is all good, no sign on any one attached the the bulkhead affecting longitudinal movement...
My car is a TL upgraded with a Gordini 5 - the gearbox I think being original TL (4 speeds).
Thanks again

Sam

You are welcome to try mine I am at Ely ring me on 077377 03217 Gerald
Gerald - thanks for this; I will try to source and fit the bushes prior to calling / arranging a visit, but good to know you're local and look forward to meeting at some point and seeing your car also.

Sam

If all else fails take a look at my post in the Technical Help and Tips section of this forum entitled Rattly Gear Lever.

Angel if that is worn what is the solution ? also there is a spacer above the ball which can break up again what is the solution there does not appear to be any new ones available

If wear is relatively little, a shim washer of 0,5mm between the circlip and the lower ball seat usually fixes it. A slit has to be cut on it, in order to be able pass over the shift lever.
In many cases there is wear at the ball locating slot. The only solution short of replacing the cover / shift lever assembly is to have a new ball machined.

IMG_20220702_120908.jpgIMG_20220702_130438.jpgIMG_20220705_194836.jpg

I used Acetal (Delrin) and made it about 1mm oversized because wear in the top cover ball seat was important. This was done on Scoobyznack's Joao, there was so much wear on this part that reverse gear selection was very hard.
I have never come across a broken lower ball seat, but it shouldn't be a problem to fabricate it (or have it done).

Thanks for all of your replies to me here; great to have some next steps there to follow if new bushes don't fix this.

Back