Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gordini engine into R4

STEPHEN ADDISON

Enthusiast
Hi guys ---- I know that a couple of you have installed a Gordini engine into an R4 and I have followed the work on this forum which catalogues such an installation. I am intending to do the same and to this end have managed to gather all the engine parts to rebuild a complete unit. I know this is not the ideal route as marrying up unknown parts from several people leads to lots of questions and as I have no final assembly to copy I am left, as I am now with some questions which I trust one of you guys will be able to answer.
My main series of questions concern the pipe work and the numerous outlets this engine seems to have. What function do they perform and where do they connect to.
I will list each one and add a picture if I can.
DIPSTICK GUIDE TUBE --- this has a small outlet tube part way up --- what does this do and is it connected via a tube to something else ---- I assume it’s a breather of some description.
SUMP TUBE --- as you can see from the photo of the rebuilt engine there is quite a large tube exiting
nip 012.JPG nip 011.JPG nip 004.JPG

fromnip 006.JPG the sump located below where the fuel pump would fix (I intend to use an electric fuel pump so the opening is blanked off) what is this attached to --- was it a breather or a drain of some sort for the fuel pump.
OIL FILLER NECK --- this has another exit tube half way up --- assumed breather to somewhere
SNAKE HEAD PAN AT TOP OF CARBURRETTER ( no photo )--- this has two small exit tubes one each side
INLET MANIFOLD --- this has two inlet/exit fittings presumably for water heating which I assume one connects to the water pump and the other to the small 90 degree tube which exits the rear of the cylinder head
I know these are minor questions and I could make educated guesses but I thought it would be far quicker to get the heads up from someone who has already been through the process

Cheers
Steve

tip 001.JPG

I guessed a bit for mine. Some photos attached of my installation. There is a restrictor in the little pipe to the manifold from the Tee piece. The other pipe from the manifold goes to the brake servo. The manifold is heated and the little pipe at the back of the heat is for the carb heating. I don't think I have a tube to the sump.

The carb connections are a bit of a guess. One is a float chamber vent and I don't remember what the other one is for. I connected one to the air filter and the other to the plastic inlet. I might have them the wrong way around as the car is lean on full throttle.

Click on the photos to make them bigger. it should be possible to save them as the original 1500px wide to see what is going on a bit better.

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 29
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 29
Malcolm --- just a quick ask before i start, which engine mounts did you use to mount the Gordini in the R4 or did they need to be fabricated special. and can the little restrictor you refer to in the pipe to the manifold still be bought, there is nothing in the pipework i have.
Steve

I used Renault 4 engine mounts on mine - the engine is about the same weight. I think the restrictor is the same as the R4 one - it is a bit of plastic with a 1mm hole in the middle that you push inside the pipe

Don't forget if you fit gordini engine into RHD car manifold hits steering column
Seem to remember having to take uj out and move it?
very early cars it is solid bar pre 81?
Remember having to grind manifold down and raise engine mounting not too high or gear linkage hits rocker cover
Be prepared for trial fit and then bolt rack in
I may have written about this before when I could remember more about it

Thanks chaps --- Malcolm that is great, many thanks --- Paul my car is left hand drive but i will bear all in mind as i am sure i have many problems to overcome yet --- I attempted to use the duel water pump pulley from the R4 but its a slightly out of line now that i have fitted the alternator onto the bracket so i will have to post a wanted on this forum for a R5 Gordini/Alpine water pump pulley --- or i may end up fabricating one if none are forthcoming
cheers
Steve

Yes Paul we have spoken several times ---- You were looking out for two headlamp shells for me as mine were rusted out. If you have the water pump pulley from the Gordini then please give me a shout i can easily send you money via post or paypal --- I am sure you have my mobile number as you have messaged me several times
cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
Was the swap engine and gearbox? If so which model of each.
I am considering upgrading my LHD R4 but not sure how much extra makes sense.
Thanks.
Nick.

Back