Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL carburetor - Wanted

Beige Belgian

Enthusiast
Morning, my car is not running very well, seems to be carb related. I fancy sticking on a new or good secondhand carb and then hopefully it will run better......

Does anyone have a carb for sale for my GTL?

cheers
Matt

Matt - that's not the answer as there may be other things causing the car to run badly. Why do you think it's carb related?

The 28IF carb is so simple and it can be overhauled and the kits are available.

usually that seems to be caused by the pesky pipe on the inlet manifold - I blocked mine up :) runs much better

The car starts okay, but quite quickly the tickover speeds up a lot with no change of choke by me. I'll then have to put the choke in and it will then cut out under braking or slowing down or at any opportunity! It can be very hesistant and jumpy when accelrating too.

Was going to try a new carb to see if it cured it then if not check other things?

For starters you need to get the carburettor stripped and cleaned out properly with compressed air. Firstly check manifold gasket and carb base gasket for air leaks. Check air filter. Check points gap and correct operation of distributor.

I had the opposite effect with mine with it flooding to such an extent that it poured all over the manifold and wouldn't stop until I cut off the fuel supply.
I have put it away in the garage for winter and will try and sort it out in the springtime.

Hi Billy, I would say the needle valve in the float chamber is stuck open, as simple as that. These are quite easy to replace and readily available from the usual suppliers, it comes in a repair kit, so you could overhaul your carb whilst you are at it. I'm glad you still have your 4, and I hope you've managed to use it a bit this past year. Regards Brian.

Mine is sorted now (touch wood), once it was looked at in daylight it could be seen a pipe had come off!

Back