Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL Exhaust

iMacThere4iAm

Tom Long
Felicia's exhaust is holier than the pope's tea strainer and as angel pointed out, is probably the source of most of her engine woes.
Do you know of a good place to get one? I know der Franzose and Melun Retro Passion stock all kinds, but they might not be the cheapest, especially with shipping.
It's the GTL exhaust with silencer under the wing, and the whole thing is shot.

Looking through the catalogue images on Cats-Direct, the exhaust currently fitted in my GTL looks like part no. 720083 (with the tailpipe coming out just in front of the rear wheel). Isn't that an F6 exhaust?
Are all of the layouts compatible, and do some have particular advantages?

There were two options for the 1108cc engines, underwing (just like earlier R4s) and rear fitted silencer.
All vans and some GTLs had the underwing silencer system. Parts are the same for both except for the long exit pipe, which is obviously longer on the F6.
If I had the choice, I would prefer the underwing silencer. It gets warmed up very quickly so it lasts longer. Also, you have better ground clearance (important for off-roading).
Its drawback is that it transmits some more heat in the passenger area (the left hand inner wing and bulkhead panel gets really hot in the summer). It's somewhat annoying for us having the steering wheel on the "hot" side of the R4!

If you manage to source an exhaust I would be interested to hear where from. Cats Direct said they didn't have them in stock and never would again !

Hey maybe a long shot but we got a full exhaust from euro car parts im going back about 4 years but i do remember being supprised by how cheap it was hope it helps!
Good luck with the search :D

I can still find most of the exhaust parts here. They are relatively cheap-except for the GTL underwing silencer at around 100 euros.

Roughly how much for an exhaust, I've heard you can get Stainless exhausts for around £200 !

Roughly how much for an exhaust, I've heard you can get Stainless exhausts for around £200 !

Renault4Mad quoted me a little over £100 for a rear-muffler exhaust, but like you said the underwing muffler is the trick. If you can get the rest locally, der Franzose and Melun both have them in stock for around £60. And I daresay some more digging in France could find them cheaper again.

Hi Tom, thats not just the backbox for £100:eek:..that was the 4 pieces...:p

I now have a complete exhaust system for the GTL in stock...kit includes front pipe, s shape under wing pipe, centre exhaust and rear silencer..Apart from the centre(bosal) the rest are walker make. Also included are new bobbins and exhaust clamps.. Pricing at £125.00 if anyones interested...plus my mate cornish4 is coming to brooklands so he can bring them up..

cheers
Andrew

No problem, Marigold would be pleased to do that for one of her relatives.:smile:

Just be careful with mixing Walkers and Bosal parts for our exhaust, I had to severely adapt my mix up parts when fitting mine recently as they were very different diameters and I had to cut and shut the rear silencer to get it to fit.

That's a good point pepper, and worth keeping in mind. Renault4mad and I are thinking of having a local firm who make stainless systems see if they can make a copy of the GTL one for our cars, with maybe a slightly larger bore, so allowing for any inlet mods in the future, ie larger carb, different filter etc, this is just a thought at the moment, and of course we still have a rather restrictive manifold to contend with, so now the thought is becoming complicated. I think though that just a stainless system would be a good idea.

Put me down for a slightly larger diameter Stainless Steel complete exhaust, or my preferred way is normally, Stainless steel tubing and then a mild steel back box to keep the resonances down.

they all fit together as far as i can see...

Back