Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL gearbox code

Azazello

habitué
I am looking for a gtl gearbox, and I need to know how to distinguish it from a tl (956) one, which is a 354 gearbox too but with shorter ratios...
Is there any code to look for?

Thank you very much! This code is stamped on the round metal plate under one of the upper bolts, isn't it?

Should I expect to find the same code even on an equivalent r5 gearbox?

There are also gearboxes 354 (HA0)-150, and -97 (FASA Spanish-built) with the 3,10:1 final drive you are looking for.
R5 gearbox should also fit, but you will need to use your original top cover. You are looking for 354 (HA0) -148, -156, -101, -123, -124, -135, -136, -137, and -144

Thank you Angel, precise as ever.
Tomorrow I will go to a good scrapyard quite far from my home (about 80km), they should have the gearbox I am looking for (so they've told me by phone)... I will bring with me your code list!

Bad news, the gearbox code was not on the list (163); the scrapman assured he detached it from a 1108 engine, but the price was quite high (200€!) and I decided not to risk.
So I am still looking around...

The 163 gearbox was fitted to some "special equipment" 1108s but has a rather low 3,77:1 final ratio.

The second case may well be a 354-53 (4,125:1 final ration, too low again)

Thank you Angel, so turns out I did well refusing both the offers...
Now I will choose the too-expensive-one, trying to lower the price at least till they include delivering...

Or maybe the special equipment one was the right compromise to have a little more couple...

I found another gtl gearbox, sold by a friend, and it is another time a 163 one.
So: what kind of special equipment was it, do you know Angel?
Maybe it is more suitable for our full-of-hills-and-mountains italian landscape?
It could be and interesting matter of discussion...

Back