Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Handbrake Cable Fouling Steering Rack Gaiter Advice

Billancourt

Enthusiast
Hi All

I have a LHD R4F4 with handbrake on the front wheels. The Off Side Handbrake Cable is fouling the Near Side steering rack gaiter, rubbing against the underside and tearing the gaiter open (two steering rack gaiters in 6 months). The handbrake cable runs along the top of the front subframe under the steering rack gaiter. I am starting to wonder if the handbrake cable is routed correctly. Should it by any chance be routed above the steering rack and then it would be totally free of any encumbrances all the way to the brake drum? However, if it were to be routed above the steering rack, it looks like it might kink upwards out from where it is housed in the half moon bracket rather than exit flush.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Hi
I don't know whether your van will have the same system as my RHD TL (I'm guessing from your forum name that your van will be an 845!), but these pictures might help.

20230415_171233.jpg20230415_170638 (3) - Copy.jpg

Here is a LHD. The cable runs under the gaitor but is inboard so there probably isn't much movement in the gaiter at that point. Mine has been apart in the past - I'm sure there is supposed to be a P shaped bracket attaching the cable to the gearbox. Or maybe just that spring in Andy's photo.

20240410_161120.jpg

Hi

Thank you both for your replies. Therefore, it is routed correctly under the gaiter. I notice when I turn the steering wheel full left and right lock, the handbrake cable moves a lot under the gaiter and I guess this is what is causing the rubbing and tearing the gaiter. There really is no gap between the gaiter and cable, they are touching each other. If I push the cable downwards by hand a gap of a few millimeters is formed. Should the cable be free moving as it is at the moment or should it be secured to the subframe with a bracket which would stop it moving and might help create a gap of a few millimeters between the gaiter and cable?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back