Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hard start

b12cky

Enthusiast
Hello everybody. :)
I have a bit of a problem with my '89 R4 GTL.
When I start it, when it's cold, I use choke. It starts right away, but it runs rough and turns off in like few seconds.
When I start it again and press gas pedal, it doesn't turn off, runs rough for about 20 seconds and then runs good.
Bad spark plugs, bad fuel? Any suggestions?
Thankx.

It sounds like some sort of fuel starvation. Try cleaning the strainers in the petrol pipes and pump and you could blow through the pipes using an air line, to see if any muck comes out. Dirt in the carburettor could be another cause, so try a dose of carburettor cleaner. I would fit an in-line fuel filter in any case.

Is the air filter in good order? You say it runs well after you've pressed the accelerator, so maybe the pedal or linkage is sticking somewhere? As the car eventually runs well I don't think it's poor petrol, although filling the tank with fresh high octane fuel wouldn't do the car any harm.

I hope these suggestions help!

How does it behave when you start it with half instead of full choke?

Carburetor is failing... which may require cleaning and rebuilding the carburetor.

How does it behave when you start it with half instead of full choke?
Same...When it is hot (it has been sitting for few hours) it starts right away, with no choke, but after a few seconds, it dies. When I start it again, and use a small amount of gas, it idles, and, after few seconds when I reliese the gas pedal, it runs ok.

Hi b12cky, I think that Grenuj is correct, it needs a cleaning but hopefully not a rebuild.

There are 2 flaps/butterflies on the carburetor, one is the choke butterfly and on the other side is the throttle flap.
The throttle flap only opens when you use your accelerator pedal. Fuel and air can then go through to the engine.

If you don't use your accelerator pedal, your throttle flap is closed but a small amount of fuel should be passing through the idle jet in the carb and mixing with a little air that comes in via the mixture screw. This air and fuel mix comes out of a very small hole on the other side (engine side) of the throttle flap.

so I would say that your idle mixture screw is set incorrectly( too little or too much air), or else the idle jet or idle tube passages are blocked.

If you do decide to open up the carb for a clean you should make sure you have a spare gasket on hand as they usually break (in my experience)
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back