Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Has a bulb gone in the instrument panel?

I'd say that's one of the lighting bulbs. Can't remember how I tackled mine when I needed to replace bulbs. The instrument panel pops out easily so that's probably the best way.

I've had the same problem a couple of times. It's a fiddly job, but once you've removed the undertray. you can replace these bulbs without removing anything else. Good luck!

Last edited:
Same thing happened in my R5. It's a bit optimistic having 80km/h+ still lit though...

This is what the other half should look like !
I dont know if you would class this as the same problem or the opposite problem !

• IMG_3163.JPG
    IMG_3163.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 190
Thanks for all your replies! So it looks like the left-hand bulb has definitely gone and that I should be able to change it without taking the steering wheel off - that will be much easier :)

I don't suppose any of you know what sort of bulb it is?

alewis: yes, I think you have the opposite problem!

If I'm successful, I'll post instructions on how I did it :smile:

Thanks again

Taking the steering wheel off is dead-easy. Remove the central pad on the steering wheel by levering it off with a screwdriver, get a 22 (I think) mm ring spanner and remove the steering wheel securing nut, then wiggle the steering wheel to remove. Disconnect the speedo cable (unscrew the plastic nut immediately behind the speedo), lever the clips on the dashboard panel, and the entire lights assembly will then lift off.
The bulb in question is on the extreme left. It should be easy to identify by following the copper circuitry on the PCB.
Don't forget to reconnect the speedo cable. Make sure that you replace the steering wheel in exactly the same place so it doesn't point "sideways".
If you don't remove the steering wheel all this is virtually impossible.

I couldn't manage to access the instrument panel without first removing the steering wheel. Removing the steering wheel was easy, except that it took some effort to undo the nut!

The replacement bulbs are: R509TEBK BX2D

While I was there I put a bulb in the space for the headlamp (dipped beam), but it didn't work. It looks like that there is no connecting wire leading into the flexible PCB leading to the dipped beam bulb.

Hi there. I've never seen a UK spec car, of any make, with a warning light for dipped beam, only main beam. Am I wrong? I'm assuming that in some parts of the world having a dipped beam warning light is required by law. So Renault fitted the lamp holder to all 4s as the cars were sold world-wide.

OK, so I've managed to put the bulb in and put everything back, only to find that the speedometer isn't working :(

1. Is there a technique for refitting the instrument panel that guarantees the speedo is connected?

2. Is there a way of checking that the speedo is connected before putting the dash back together again?

Many thanks! Jonathan

If you remove the panel under the steering wheel you can reach up and connect the speedo - the rest of the dash can remain in place - also you can take it for a quick test drive with that panel missing.

Great, thanks for that tip alewis. I hadn't actually fully removed the panel under the steering wheel (I just undid it enough to get to the instrument panel).

I'll give that a try. I presume it is just a push-to-fit connection?

Thanks, Jonathan

Beat me to it.

Dammit! You beat me to it. Since we were all in the mood for fixing our instrument panels I thought I might change the bulbs in mine too.

If anyone else wants to know what the bulbs look like then here you go...

ocYmDl.jpg

q0yWKl.jpg

Now something for you to try... I popped down to my local Renault Dealer to see if they could show me what type of bulbs I needed. I had no intention of purchasing from Renault as I assumed that they would be grossly overpriced and when the chap returned with a couple he said they were really expensive here, about £6 a bulb, and not to buy them. He said he didn't need these two and told me just to take them. Sweet! Two free bulbs courtesy of the chap a Renault.

I bought bulbs from a local shop for something as 0.6 euros each.
Lights lamp is not wired. If you want to wire it you have to do it homemade wiring the lamp to the dash light.

Andrea scripsit.

Well done for getting your bulbs changed, when I'm breaking a car I tend to keep the dashboard until all of the bulbs have been used up, I check them with a continuity meter to ensure they're fine before I fit them though.

bulb has a code of 286 capless if anyone is interested

Dammit! You beat me to it. Since we were all in the mood for fixing our instrument panels I thought I might change the bulbs in mine too.

Now something for you to try... I popped down to my local Renault Dealer to see if they could show me what type of bulbs I needed. I had no intention of purchasing from Renault as I assumed that they would be grossly overpriced and when the chap returned with a couple he said they were really expensive here, about £6 a bulb, and not to buy them. He said he didn't need these two and told me just to take them. Sweet! Two free bulbs courtesy of the chap a Renault.

You got the whole lights? I only changed the bulbs.

Thanks alewis - it's very easy to connect the speedo cable when the lower plastic casing is removed! (And a lot easier than in the Peugeot 309 where you can't see and have to hope you've pushed the speedo into the cable!)

Thanks for the support, Pepper :) I also replaced the bulb in the digital clock that our GTL has (same bulb as in dash).

godlike: yes, I replaced the glass bulb and the black plastic holder - they don't seem to come apart?

Back