Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Head lamp bulbs

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi all.
I was in Halfords and noticed they have a new set of H4 headlight bulbs offering 200% more light than standard. So I bought a pair for Ronnie, to replace the dim lights on him. Are there any issues?
I assumed the bulbs performed better due to improved technology rather than sucking more electricity down the wires, possibly burning things out. Again, any observations much appreciated.

We'll need more details to be able to advise, I think.
For example, what is the power rating (wattage) of the bulbs?

More power usually equates to more watts which equals more heat I once fitted higher wattage main beam bulbs in a Golf with twin headlights it was not long before it cracked the glass which was rather expensive it was soon
returned to standard

Hi all and thanks for the replies. The bulbs say
H4
12v
60/55w
P43t
If you can get the gist from that, are there problems with these sucking more juice down my old old wires.

Angel . Fab news. Thank you.
If there were more of these fantastic forums around, the world would be a better place. People across the world talking to each other, helping each other, people like Putin wouldn’t get a look in. Again, all down to Malcolm.

I have also fitted 80/100 W bulbs without any modificaion to the wiring, or relay fitting, and they worked fine for a period of ten years. Car was a 1979 one, with the early style stalk switches. It seems that they can handle extra current, perhaps because they had been engineered for 6V system?

I have also fitted 80/100 W bulbs without any modificaion to the wiring, or relay fitting, and they worked fine for a period of ten years. Car was a 1979 one, with the early style stalk switches. It seems that they can handle extra current, perhaps because they had been engineered for 6V system?
Yes, you're right. Six volt systems have wiring that's much thicker than a 12 volt system, as the amperages it handles are twice the amount.

Tried the new bulbs. They fit the three pin plug, but not the hole in the back of the reflector, the round seating is too small so no seal with the reflector and there are three projecting bits that fit nothing but stop it falling through.

It sounds as though your new bulbs are like the one in the foreground in the first picture (the standard fitment is P45T, like the one in the background):
20230217_143842.jpg20230217_144000.jpg
You can buy adaptors that allow you to fit the bulbs with the 3 prongs - they may need a bit of work with a Dremel to make them fit, though. The standard fitment has its advantages!

You don't need to adapt a bulb. A P45t (note the 45, not 43) bulb is a 60/55 watt halogen one, with a circular fitting! I've been fitting these to my cars for years and they work perfectly. You gain halogen power and light without compromising the originality of the fitting, although I should recommend a relay, to handle the extra current.

As Andrew says, P45t are the correct ones and there are many options:
Halogen 60/55w, clear or with a yellow glass cover, 6v or 12v.
Halogen 100/80, 100/90 or 130/100w.
Original tungsten 45/40w, clear or yellow, 6v or 12v.
(I keep all of the these in stock apart from the highest wattage, the best selling being the yellow halogen).
I wouldn't recommend using the plastic adapters to fit the incorrect P43t bulbs, as the bulb will sit further back in relation to the reflector, which is designed to reflect the light from a specific point for maximum efficiency.

Well I used the Halfords bulb adviser which led me to these bulbs. They will be returned
Where do you get these P45t 60/55w bulbs?

Back