Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Head lamp bulbs

I have also fitted 80/100 W bulbs without any modificaion to the wiring, or relay fitting, and they worked fine for a period of ten years. Car was a 1979 one, with the early style stalk switches. It seems that they can handle extra current, perhaps because they had been engineered for 6V system?
Possibly. The later stalks feel very flimsy and I'm toying with a couple of relays with the standard H4 bulbs.

I hate to be a killjoy but 80/100 W bulbs are not E rated for road use in the UK and are total illegal if caught with them fitted they will be a MOT failure and your insurance company will walk away from any claim

... 80/100 W bulbs ... will be a MOT failure ...
In the UK mot, they check that the headlights work, they check the colour, (white or yellow is allowed), they check that the patterns are correct and that they're correctly aligned. That's it. They don't check the wattage of any bulbs

Last edited:
Here in Greece you may get a notice for headlamps not bright enough - not failure though. If the pattern is right, nobody will bother for headlights being "too bright".

The M.O.T. has a minimum wattage for headlamp bulbs of 30 watts, although I never removed a bulb to check this! I did once test an ancient Skoda and subsequently discovered its main & dipped beam were 35 watts-blimey, those lights were dim! I don't think there's a maximum wattage, but I'll check the "book of words" next time I have a chance!

Back