Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Head lining

MartinA

Enthusiast
Good morning

How easy is it to replace the headlining and where can I buy a replacement?

Hi Martin,
Let me know how you get on. I also have a fabric lining with a small couple of rips. I'm on the fence for repairing because the saving grace is that I can pop out the dents occasionally in the roof!
Stuart.

I have bought a replacement fabric liner from der franzose which looks fantastic- it uses the correct diamond pattern vinyl cloth which is available by the metre from one or two vendors in France- but I haven’t stumped up the courage yet to fit it. Got to combine job with bashing out some roof dents and wiring up rear Demister etc

The soft headlining is gripped by a metal channel that runs around the whole roof, exception being the front part over the windscreen. It has to be bent open so that the headlining edge can be removed. After putting on the new headlining, with the four rods in place, its edge is being inserted in the channel and the channel edge is being bent back to shape with a mallet, being careful not to damage the headlining fabric and keeping the fabic tensioned at the same time. Easier to describe than do, I have only removed a couple of headlining trims.

Hi, if you have only some small rips, maybe it's betterto try to stich it over as i did for one rip, got it OK but not wery beautiful. Made new once to Volvo Amazon late seventies with my mom, took headlining with same kind of conruction out and used as a model for new. Made it of dark brown seventies cordyroy.

You can poke a piece of fabric through the hole and then glue it to the back of the head lining. Difficult to get perfect but better than a tear. Is changing it to the plastic type a possibility?

I have bought a replacement fabric liner from der franzose which looks fantastic- it uses the correct diamond pattern vinyl cloth which is available by the metre from one or two vendors in France- but I haven’t stumped up the courage yet to fit it. Got to combine job with bashing out some roof dents and wiring up rear Demister etc
So you have contact information for the sellers of the vinyl?

Franzose, Vehicles Ancienns , Melun, etc . Requires importing it, but that is getting better all the time.

If you don't need an entire one (e.g. if you only replace a section between two seams) you can buy the original material from ENPI in France and get a motor trimmer to sew in a replacement section. Note they only transact their business in French. See below for a link for the 1960's vinyl with the embossed diamond pattern.

Back