Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlamps: halogen in old style lamp

jjad

Enthusiast
Hello,

I've just got a pair of new Renault headlamps (part number 7701 348 113) to replace cracked and rusting R4 GTL lamps.

The car is LHD and currently has tape to prevent glaring other drivers. I was planning to convert to RHD/LHD using Clementine's tip of creating a new notch.

However, when looking at the existing headlamps, I noticed they have 3 notches and contain halogen bulbs with three corresponding tabs.

My questions are:

1. can you get halogen bulbs which fit the old-style (one notch) lamps?

2. Do renault still make lamps with 3 notches (for halogen bulbs) - if so, I could send my 'old style' one-notch lamps back and replace them for the 'new style' 3 notch ones.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I'll try to take some pictures and post them later.

The only information I've found about this subject is this post by angel.

Thanks

Question 1. Yes, you can get these bulbs - I have a pair in my car. I assume your new headlamps have only one notch?

Question 2. I have never seen a UK R4 fitted with the halogen type headlamps you describe. They may have been produced for overseas only or for later LHD cars post 1986.

I'd hang onto the single notch lights and buy a pair of single notch halogen bulbs to fit. I don't think any of the headlamps supplied by Renault are RHD, and LHD ones with 3 notches may be harder to convert to RHD than the single notch type.

Thanks so much for the prompt advice!

Steve,

yes, the new headlamps only have one notch. Is there a special number/name for the halogen bulbs you have with just one tab?

The car is a 1990 LHD and the previous owner bought new lamps which take halogen H4 bulbs - I found an old receipt. (Just out of interest, I think the Renault part number for these H4 lamps is 7701 022 086)

Clementine, you're right - Renault don't supply RHD lamps and it will be much easier to cut one new notch than three!

Thanks again

While you are searching around for bulbs, check the possibility of fitting 80/100 W bulbs.You will be astonished with the headlight performance! The only additional modification needed is a headlamp relay, to avoid passing too high a current from the headlight switch.

Well, they may be illegal, that's why they are marked "Not for use in Europe"? Nobody bothers to check here!
I think that a badly adjusted 45W lamp dazzles more than a correctly adjusted 80W one...

Thanks for the bulb information. It's taken almost 4 years, but I've finally put the new headlamps on! Used Malcolm's LHD-RHD conversion method so no more tape on the headlamps :)

Also replaced the chrome strip in the grille with a new one (supplied by Steve Hennessey), Renault part number: 77 00 611 766.

• r4-shiny-front.jpeg
    r4-shiny-front.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 170
Whilst talking headlamps...

Does anyone have a cheap 'n cheerful way of deflecting beams when we travel to Thenay? Bet the R4 isn't included in modern fitting instructions for deflectors!

Thanks.

Most later Cibie headlamps (not H4 ones) have a little plastic piece that can be flicked over to change the position of the bulb (and therefore its aiming). You will find it on the rear lower part of the bulb hole. The bulb must be removed first.
If you are lucky enough to have this type of headlamp, it's a cheap and quick way!

Are 60w H4 lamps as is on r4s or is it necessary a relais?
Someone told me I could damage light switch using them without a relais... So I changed again for the 45w ones.

Thanks Angel - I'll check tomorrow but they are Cibie so fingers crossed! The lamps were new this year.

Back