Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlight replacement

Paul Narramore

pre-moderated
I've been looking at one of the headlights on my 4GTL, or rather watching the slow build up of rust on the bottom half of the reflector and thought that no way would she pass an MoT this time around in that condition. Amongst the small collection of spares which came with the car when I bought it last summer was another Cibie headlight in good condition. Right, decision made, how long does it take to change a headlight? Fifteen minutes? Half-an-hour? We'll see.

Haynes says the front grill has to be removed. Seven small nuts, some which even had full hexagons on the nuts. Squirt WD40 on them for a few days and they might even undo.

Of the seven, I saved three. The seven studs screw into the plastic grill and rusted nuts were stronger to budge than the grip of plastic, French plastic. Two nuts required the brief use of a blow torch. I say 'brief' as the plastic quickly began to release it's grip on the course thread of the stud. A hacksaw and angle grinder finally 'released' the final reluctant studs.

Some of the studs had the remains of rubber shims presumably an anti-rattle device so I made seven new ones from some thin butyl I have. Then I made four new studs from some stainless steel M4(?) bolts I have after sawing them to length. All screwed in place with some powerful Loctite.

The headlight was out in a trice, a simple but rusty spring clip on the top and a couple of small tabs on the bottom which hook into a fixed spring. I freed off the headlight adjusting lever, such simplicity, cleaned up the rust from the headlight bowl then sprayed some Waxoyl everywhere. Headlight adjusting grub screws cleaned up on the bench rotary wire brush (my favourite much-used tool). Headlight clipped in, and surprise surprise, everything works. Grill back on this time with dollops of grease on the threads and nuts. These won't resist me next time around.

So how long to replace the headlight? A whole afternoon. I've yet to come across an old car where the fasteners have both seized and corroded to such an extent. Still it's satisfying when these small jobs are done.

And there's more. I had a look this morning at the near side adjusters to find one had lost half of its head and was seized, so grill off again. Whereas the o/s adjusters run in plastic blocks, this one runs directly in threaded bushes. The retaining tabs are in poor condition so another headlight is on the cards.

I've been looking at one of the headlights on my 4GTL, or rather watching the slow build up of rust on the bottom half of the reflector and thought that no way would she pass an MoT this time around in that condition. Amongst the small collection of spares which came with the car when I bought it last summer was another Cibie headlight in good condition. Right, decision made, how long does it take to change a headlight? Fifteen minutes? Half-an-hour? We'll see.

Haynes says the front grill has to be removed. Seven small nuts, some which even had full hexagons on the nuts. Squirt WD40 on them for a few days and they might even undo.

Of the seven, I saved three. The seven studs screw into the plastic grill and rusted nuts were stronger to budge than the grip of plastic, French plastic. Two nuts required the brief use of a blow torch. I say 'brief' as the plastic quickly began to release it's grip on the course thread of the stud. A hacksaw and angle grinder finally 'released' the final reluctant studs.

Some of the studs had the remains of rubber shims presumably an anti-rattle device so I made seven new ones from some thin butyl I have. Then I made four new studs from some stainless steel M4(?) bolts I have after sawing them to length. All screwed in place with some powerful Loctite.

The headlight was out in a trice, a simple but rusty spring clip on the top and a couple of small tabs on the bottom which hook into a fixed spring. I freed off the headlight adjusting lever, such simplicity, cleaned up the rust from the headlight bowl then sprayed some Waxoyl everywhere. Headlight adjusting grub screws cleaned up on the bench rotary wire brush (my favourite much-used tool). Headlight clipped in, and surprise surprise, everything works. Grill back on this time with dollops of grease on the threads and nuts. These won't resist me next time around.

So how long to replace the headlight? A whole afternoon. I've yet to come across an old car where the fasteners have both seized and corroded to such an extent. Still it's satisfying when these small jobs are done.

I also noted Haynes on this and needed a bulb replacement for our GTL's French CT/MoT recently. I, sensibly I reckon, left it to our local village garagiste, a guy now semi-retired who spent his youth working on Quatrelles and 2CVs etc, and has the kit and savvy to do the job as easily and effortlessly as possible. CT passed no problem.

Ian, Bulb replacement on our cars is dead easy once you work out the correct position of the widget, the device which determines whether you are driving on the left or right. I found non of the explanations were written in plain English and it wasn't until I met a fellow 4GTL owner at a show it all became abundantly clear.

With all the grease I've applied to the fasteners, they shouldn't prove a problem in the future.

This afternoon I noticed one of the two lower bonnet hinge bolts is lose. Can I get a ring spanner or socket on it? Nope. It's fitted snugly in a piece of narrow tinware.

Back