Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlight springs and jobsworths.?

johnjolly

Enthusiast
Perhaps it's because it's Friday afternoon and thundery weather, but the MOT tester who has passed my R4 LHD Savanne for the past three years, today decided to fail it because the headlight beams were incorrect. Even though I had done that filing out a notch and rotating the bulb he wasn't satisfied. Insisting I fit correct British headlight units to throw the correct light pattern, I suspect he's wrong.
However as I was showing him that I had altered them I noticed each light was missing one of the little Spring clips that retain the bulbs, so my question is has anyone a couple of spare clips or a supplier where they are available ?
He also said I needed to replace the KLM speedo with MPH, or at least a sticker over the glass. I suspect he's wrong with this and I will ignor it when I go elsewhere for my retest.

It's strange how for the past MOT's the above mentioned 'faults' we're not an issue.

Speedos in km/h are a 'construction and use' issue and not an MOT issue. Until the powers that be get themselves organised it is not something the MOT tester should be concerning himself about as it isn't in the testing manual.

The RHD headlamps have always been LHD headlamps with the slot for the bulb in a different place. Cibie headlamps were made with the LHD and RHD slots from new so you could decide which country you were in. The tech tips link at the top of the page has the positions. Maybe the pattern is a bit fuzzy if the clips are missing. The clips aren't available new but perhaps someone has them. Otherwise buy a headlamp - they come with 2 clips.

Oh dear, we're in exactly the same position regarding headlamps and speedo. Hopefully the clips will resolve the headlamp problem and you can persuade your MOT tester that as there isn't anything about km/h or mph in the testing manual, they might like to reconsider.

Good luck.

The tester might (might!) have a point if the headlight units have a triangular section designed to bend the beam when the dipped beam is used. If the lights were design for a left hand drive car (i.e., for use on the continent) then the lights would be designed to dip in the continental fashion, which would dazzle U.K. drivers when the car is used in the U.K.

It's easy to check this: Take a close look at the glass lens; if it has a cheese-shaped part and the headlights have not been changed for right hand drive then this cheese-shaped piece needs to be covered with adhesive tape to prevent them dazzling oncoming drivers. If the glass has TWO patterned areas, set symmetrically about the vertical mid-line of the glass then these are earlier lenses and CAN be adjusted for U.K. use without the use of masking tape! If this IS the case, remove the assembly from the car, remove the bulb by disconnecting the wiring and then unclip the two clips and remove the bulb from the unit. Slide the moveable clip at the bottom of the assembly to the other side, replace the bulb (which will now sit in a slightly different position) clip it back in, reconnect the wiring & put back in the car. the result should be a headlamp that dips perfectly in the OTHER direction! Repeat for the the headlamp!

More advice if you need it-just ask!

Thanks for your advice, I have adjusted the bulbs to rotate them slightly and this is how they have passed the last 3 MOTs but as I said I'm short of two bulb clips to keep bulbs firmly seated in the holder. Can anyone spare a pair?

Personally, after sorting the clip issue, assuming that the beam pattern IS correct, I would take it for the (free within 2 weeks?) retest at the same place. If he fails it on the speedo, I would ask him if he has a VT17 form, (Appeal form).

Slim possibility I can find some spare clips as all renaults 60s 70s used this setup may have some rusty R12 lamps hiding away kept from when they may of been saleable condition

Slim possibility I can find some spare clips as all renaults 60s 70s used this setup may have some rusty R12 lamps hiding away kept from when they may of been saleable condition
Thanks Paul see what you can find, I messed about with some fine wire and created a reasonable but clumsy temporary solution, but it's not pretty. I think the tester is on holiday this week so I will go and play the "daft laddie" with his mate,
plus a couple of sticker on the speedo, which my wife says she needs anyway.
Surely that has to work. Thanks JJ

I have a strong suspicion i have a couple of clips too. will take a look

Not had chance to look but just remembered that I have had the cheaper tungsten 410 type bulbs poorly made and the filament distort affecting beam pattern too

Back