Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlining material

Pieter

Enthusiast
Anyone know where you can get the old diamond embossed pattern headlining material used on earlier R4s? Was it used on any other cars?

..Yes Pieter, from me..

..But I expect £ xxx for it plus a huge amount to get it to Melbourne would make it uneconomical sadly.

Why don't you stick pages from the Herald Sun on the roof just like Bluebell does with pages from Hello Magazine when they dont feature friends of hers?

Would anyone else like to buy mine?

• CIMG3941 e.jpg
    CIMG3941 e.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 141
Alright, I'm biting.............

What do you call £ xxx????? I've posted a set of tyres and a pair of driveshafts back from France before, so I'm not frightened yet......... lay it on me and see what happens.

..Right Pieter..

I think 60 Aussie dollars would be fair - I have an Aussie brother in law who amazingly enough works in Melbourne and lives in Hawkes Nest, north of Sydney.

You could pop it into his bank account and I could hold him to a £30 ransom when I see him here in a few weeks.

You will have to worry about carriage - Its 1600mm long x 1100mm wide x 100 deep and is very fragile - It also has a small bit that has split off behind the passenger side sun visor but is complete. I will help pack it but cant guarantee that my packaging will see it through to Aus. It will have to be collected from London SE21 - Dulwich.

And on another point I assume you must be South African as Pieter is not a traditional Aussie name!!

If you think it rains Kangaroos and Dingos in Australia, this is real rain - Its been raining Chats et Chiens all morning here in France!!...

• IMG_1901 e.jpg
    IMG_1901 e.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 131
Hold on a minute?

Ian,
Is this the off-white diamond embossed vinyl cloth/fabric type with metal stretcher bars you are talking about or the semi-rigid plastic one piece thing that went in GTLs (which I'm not interested in)? Its actually the cloth type I'm after and I dont need the bars, just the fabric, so it can be folded up into a bundle if its this type. Ideally I'm looking for new fabric ("tissu de pavillon") so I can make a new one. Are there any motor trimmers' suppliers in France who keep it? I've seen lots of adverts for earlier 4CV type fabrics but none for the R4 fabric. I think some other mid sixties french cars might have used it as well.

The price and payment arrangement sound good to me if we can sort out what you've got. And I'd be prepared to pay whatever it was if you have a source for new stuff.

My Dad was South African, its a throwback to him. I'm actually a pom originally, but I've gone native in the most disgraceful way since an early age. No rain here right now, most disappointing winter, quite a bad drought!
Cheers

..Sorry Pieter - wrong headliner

The headliner I thought you wanted was the rigid one piece, which you are not interested in so sorry, cant help after all.

The vinyl one on the metal stretchers bars I had went to Malcolm a while ago, although it didn't have diamond embossed in it.

You will be interested to know that we have had another day of 'rain'.............but this time its artificial!!

• CIMG3973 e.jpg
    CIMG3973 e.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 124
No Worries

Thanks Anyway Ian.

Anyone else out there know anything about the old headlining material? I've got the Renault part number for the cloth if thats any help.

Alright, I'm getting obsessed......

Don't know if this is the right place to put this, but here is a link to a great little thread on a french site, showing the type of headlining I'm banging on about-

http://translate.google.com/transla...cle-23200591.html&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=

And here's the catalogue call-out.

By the way, I've got Jpgs of 3 pages of the late '60s spares catalogue which show all the upholstery cloth colours and styles- only problem is they are about 6 meg each. Is it worth putting them up? Or is this getting a bit train-spottery?

• lining.jpg
    lining.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 99
Another photo from my '66 car if it helps in your quest. I would be surprised if the material is still available as it's a bit plasticy and horrible. I have found it impossible to remove the early headlinings without ripping them. The later ones with plastic instead of cardboard securing the edges are a lot easier. I've used a later one on my project. I reckon nobody will notice.

• early-headlining.jpg
    early-headlining.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 82
Thanks Malcolm, I really appreciate you posting the picture. It is a bit plasticky, but its grown on me. I like it 'cos it matches the old sunvisors.

Just as we started this topic, does anyone know an effective way of cleaning the "old style" roof lining? It is dirty, I assume due to 35 years of no cleaning, but otherwise perfect.

Hah Hah! Hah Haaaaaaah!!!!! Hah Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!

Erm, sorry about that. After 5 years it just gushed out (phrasing).
I looked up Renault Dauphine stuff in french and hit the jackpot!
Enpi sell it NOS (I assume, judging by the other stuff they have) in France.

http://www.enpi-retro-auto.com/product.php?id_product=721

Its about 64 euro a metre but the freight cost is colossal...... Anyone else in Australia fancy getting some and splitting the cost? Geoff maybe? Its used on R8s as well as Dauphines and 4s.

Hah Hah! Hah Haaaaaaah!!!!! Hah Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!

.... Anyone else in Australia fancy getting some and splitting the cost? Geoff maybe? Its used on R8s as well as Dauphines and 4s.

ABSOLUTELY!! Grab some while it's going.
There's several R4s under restoration around here at the mo so we should be able to find some takers.

How about this one - has the small diamond pattern?

http://www.enpi-retro-auto.com/product.php?id_product=1364

Geoff

ABSOLUTELY!! Grab some while it's going.
There's several R4s under restoration around here at the mo so we should be able to find some takers.

How about this one - has the small diamond pattern?

http://www.enpi-retro-auto.com/product.php?id_product=1364

Geoff
Looks like the same stuff in grey. Mine had the white headlining originally, and still has the soft sunvisors in the same material (it' a late'67 model), and we used to have a '64 with the white, but did other R4s have grey or other colours?
The price quoted was 83 euro for postage, I might get a quote for a few more metres and see if that results in a saving..

I'm not sure about different colours - I just assumed they'd all be the same. I'll have to look closer and work out what's under the grime.

I suspect that postage is based on a minimum of 1kg rate. Judging by postage rates from various French sites I suspect the postal service has a 1kg min rate.

How many metres do you think would one car need?

Just saw ENPI at Auto Retro in Paris today. Bit of a miserable git but the material looked nice.

Hi Geoff, I was surprised by the postage- in the past I've posted things back from France and they've been really cheap if you go to La Poste and ask for "collisimo" which is the slow rate. In 2007 I sent home a set of R4 tyres and it cost about the same- 60-80 euros I think which is pretty good for a tea chest sized box with four tyres in it! But from the other side of the world people have their own ideas about how to send it. Also everything related to postage has gone up significantly. Plus the roll is 140 cm wide and I am wondering if he is planning on sending it rolled to prevent it tearing? In which case there might be a min volume they apply.

As far as length, they say allow 3 metres although my own measuring suggests a bit less. I would still go for 3 metres as I want to also cover the rear quarter panels in the same material, in theory you might get away with less but if you stuff up one section, put a hole in it etc, or the trimmer measures once and cuts twice, you will be short if you go for much less. And then you will be sad. Sad is not good.

Yep, sad is bad.
Ran into an old friend at a funeral last week. He's been getting container loads of bikes and parts shipped from O/S in recent years and has developed good contacts for this.
He says its very cheap for 'LCL' shipping (less than container load) and easy to arrange if you know the right people. It's done by volume rather than weight; limit of 1 tonne per cubic metre which would be a veritable heap of bulky parts.
If there's no rush to get it here we might be able to arrange that kind of shipping.
You've waited 5 years, what's a bit longer...

No sorry, they just didn't seem that interested in giving out advice (not just this stand, but a lot of them, must be the French customer service kicking in.... or not).
But the cloth was good quality so it is worth the price.
If you need things shipped to somewhere win France (for holding) then let me know.

Back