Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from Klingenberg/Germany

Realnut4

Enthusiast
Hi!
I'm Volker from Klingenberg, which is close to Frankfurt.
I own a 1983 AMD-convertible produced in Cologne by AMD-schaefer and which is basically identical to the Plein Air since they used the original body parts Renault still had in stock at that time.

My second R4 is a 1971 Fourgonette with rear windows and 4 seats.

Me and my partner also have an F6, an R6 TL, two Volkswagen baywindows, a Mercedes W115, an NSU Prinz, and several scooters, mopeds and motorbikes - not all in running condition, of course... ;)

This summer we are going to have a meeting in our backyard. Visit http://rappelquatrelle.jimdo.com/ for more information. Unfortunately it will be at the same time as the big meeting in France, but since neither of us speaks French...

I hope DavidN will also come! :)

Volker

Edith says: This week we happened to buy an orange 1973 R4 close to Lyon. We called it Clementine. :shock:

• cabrio.jpg
    cabrio.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 814
Hello Volker, welcome to the forum!

It is very interesting to hear about your Plein Air, I had never heard about them before. Do you know how many of them had been made?
Did they use the aluminum cappings over the side cut-outs, too?

Is this marvellous colour original? Do you know its code?

Thank you both! I have been around for quite a while but never made it to write an introduction.

As far as I know the company produced about 70-80. You could either buy a new one from them for about 13,000 DM (6500 €) or give them your "Berline" and have it converted. The advertisements at that time spoke of rust-free sheet-metal being used. It might be aluminum. I never checked. The company still exists ( www.amd-schaefer.de ) but they never replied to the questions I had about the car. At the same time a second company in Cologne, Uckermann, produced a convertible, the "Plaisir".

The colour is green 946, a colour that was used during the first half of the seventies and for the R4 Safari. My car was red as a "Berline", but it was converted into a convertible and painted black (including bumpers and wheel rims) when it was still brand new. I preferred green 946 since my first car was a Safari, so we repainted it. I would leave it black if I had to do it all again.

Hello and welcome, what a great looking little convertible. your collection of cars sounds great, my friend and I have quite a few between us too.

I have

Renault 4
Renault Twingo
Renault Master camper.

My Friend has

Morris minor 1000 traveller
Morris Minor 4 door saloon
Riley Kestrel
Volkswagen Bay Window camper

Plus we both have modern cars for day to day pootling.

hi pepper,

i see you have a renault master camper..is it a original one or self build...interested to see some pics if its a self build...looking to build one this winter to replace my ageing ducato

cheers
andrew

Its a self build, its also based on a Mk1 Master and its a very individual design!!!!

A friend of mine built it over 3-4 years, he used to be a canal boat builder so its very much a road going barge ;)

I put some pictures up on here somewhere, I'll see if I can find them for you.

Thanks for posting the code - I've added a little picture to the paint code page as we didn't have a photo of a 946 car.

There is some welding involved in fitting the Plein Air panels - probably they used zintec coated steel (a light coating of zinc on the surface but still weldable). It's not rust free, but can be stored for longer without protection.

Looks a fun car - the R4 convertibles work well. Do post some photos of the others, and the meeting

Very cool, there were quite a lot of them! But not DavidN right?

Hope to be able to join once, when mine is ready for duty too ;).

Hey hey hey...

Did you scan all the pics? ;)
Of course I've been there.
It was a fantastic meeting!

image.jpg

Haha oh, hadn't seen that one, only the video! ;)

PS: Und ein Zündapp. Haha, also have a Zündapp still standing in the shed at my parent's place (GTS50 from 1977).

Back