Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello

gordon

Hello R4 fans,

You have a wonderful site which must encourage lots of people and save lots of cars!

I've been an R4 owner on and off for a while, first rode in one 63. Am now in a 91 lhd Clan. I'm building up to a RHD conversion, and I hope to compare notes with someone else doing this? (and SVA ing it/insuring it) and have read your members interesting observations on this topic to date.

Bye for now
Gordon

Welcome Gordon,

SVA isn't an issue as the car is over 10 years old (SVA exempt). I think the procedure is to bring it over here with it's original documents, change the headlamp dip over (you don't need to buy new lights - see tech tips in the colourful menu above) and change the speedo to miles. Then make sure the foglamp is on the right hand side, then get an MOT. After that pop along with it to your local vehicle licencing office and ask them for a UK age related registration number.

The LVLA (I think they might have called themselves something else these days) will probably want to look at the car and check the numbers before giving you the number, but it's all fairly easy and they tend to help on the phone.

To convert to RHD?

Thanks very much for your reply, I was lucky in that I bought the car with it already registered in the UK. But next on the list is converting to RHD, I have a spares car now for the parts and I should start on the job fairly soon. The issues may be the insurance of the converted car plus is an MOT a sufficient declaration of the safety/competance of the result? As the chassis is not changed SVA/ the Q plate thing may not be a problem , here's hoping! Am I the first to try this!
Gordon

It's a fairly straightforward conversion apart from the bulkhead where you'll need to remove the reinforcement for the brake pedal box from the spares car and weld it in place.

Insurance should't mind, although some companies might insist on an engineers report if you list LHD to RHD conversion as a modification. It'll depend on the insuranace company. It's worth giving them a call to check.

There won't be any problem with identity or registration numbers, and SVA won't be necessary.

Back