Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help! cant open bonnet??

chris&Renee

Enthusiast
Hey

got a bit of a problem, I can’t seem to open the bonnet on my GTL, I know that it’s the little pull leaver near the gear stick, I had trouble with it when I picked it up from the garage today, the guy got in and opened it straight away (I didn’t watch what he did) So I’m assuming I’m doing it wrong?? How are you meant to open it correctly, and if it doesn’t work can you open the bonnet another way??

Push

Hi
I left my GTL in for a valet a few weeks ago and they could not get the bonnet open either. Just push the knob in beside the gear lever and hey presto!

It worked for me.

Jack the Rev

i tried that loads of times it just goes in and nothing happens i cant push it any further in, you think it can come un attached?

Spring has popped off so the bonnet won't pop up. It'll be released and still open just won't have popped up that first bit.

Put the spring back on once it's open - the end of the clip needs putting behind the tab on the catch.

ahhh would explain why its not very springy.

although the bonnet is closed, can i force it open without breaking it?

You shouldn't need to force it. Make sure the push release is fully forwards and it'll just lift up.

Hi
Try holding the button in and lifting the bonnet at the same time. You can do this from inside or outside the car if you're on your own.

Dare I suggest if all else fails, remove heater trunking so accessing the two screws that hold the bonnet catch mechanism to the bulkhead.

I went to view a car once and the owner was struggling to open the bonnet, and he said "I've been trying for days to get it open". He'd been pushing the wrong button, he'd been trying to push one of the heater controls and not the bonnet release button!

(Just saying like) ;)

My doesn't open some times either, so I put a piece of thin strong plastic like a ruler under the bonnet and prise it at the same time as I push the release button.

Hope you're pushing the right one. When my grandfather had the car and I didn't drove it, I was trying to open it with the outer/inner air lever.

it might be somewhat late when its already stuck,but remember to put a dollop of grease onto that round axle to ease the catch releasing. as a precaution I drilled a hole in the catch-hook ,fastened a wire through it and made a loop other end hanging down behing motor -Just barely reachable from underside..much better than having to force bonnet up. -R.

I've been having similar problems opening the bonnet of my '67 4 ever since someone reversed into the front of the car last year. The impact was hard enough to snap the roll pin in one of the bonnet hinges but the bonnet itself wasn't greatly affected (thankfully).

I checked that the spring is located correctly and tried lubrication and adjustment of the catch mechanism this hasn't done the trick so I've been obliged to push the release button while lifting the bonnet like Andy McGhee suggested.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what to try next as I'd rather not have to use the two-handed method for evermore if I can help it. Thanks in anticpation!

These bonnets need to be adjusted perfectly in relationship to the front wings and the bulkhead in order to open and close by themselves. Neither the bonnet nor the crossmember outer parts are particularly rigid, and can be deformed easily even in minor crashes.
The bonnet catch can be adjusted both upwards and downwards (oblong holes), but also forwards and backwards (by placing some kind of shim under the fixing studs). All of these may take you some time, but the bonnet will eventually function as it should.

it might be somewhat late when its already stuck,but remember to put a dollop of grease onto that round axle to ease the catch releasing. as a precaution I drilled a hole in the catch-hook ,fastened a wire through it and made a loop other end hanging down behing motor -Just barely reachable from underside..much better than having to force bonnet up. -R.

Now that is a excellent idea!

Thanks for the advice!

although im still stuck, pushing in catch and lifting at the same time does nothing its locked shut!? looks like a nother trip to the garage as confused ha

hav you got it fixed yet?? try giving the bonnet a good whack Down -not up, as your mate pushes the release-knob in.. -R.

Sometimes the push rod bends/is bent - ensure it is actually straight and then follow the procedure of my learned friend reidar. Be careful pressing down the bonnet - they get dinted very easily. Be patient............. it will give up and release eventually. :)

I have finally got another Renault....... a Lagunaaaaaaaaagh. :shock::rolleyes:

Back