Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help…I’ve broken down in the middle of France

Sprackers

Enthusiast
Morning chaps,
Well, what a bit of a nightmare and I’m hoping that You might help.
Facts:
1. Driven 900k over past 3 days down to Bordeaux.
2. Started to back fire, only whe I was decelerating in gear approaching roundabouts.
3. When I knocked it out of gear, backfiring stopped.
4. Stopped at supermarket couldn’t get it started yesterday.
5. Plenty of power, turned over fine
6. Ten minutes and just got her started
7. Once going idled lovely purring just like normal
8. Didn’t stall or even sounded like stalling.

What I’ve done:
1. Detached the fuel line from the carburettor, put a condom over the end, turned the key, turned over fine, condom with plenty of petrol in it.

So the problem is from the carburettor onwards.

Also I changed the spark plugs before I left to Champion LYC92. As recommended.

As I say started fine first 2 days. Only yesterday.

My situation:

I’ve got 24 hours before I need to be at Bordeaux airport to park Christine and get my flight.

Bordeaux is 30 minutes away.

I’ve got my tools with me.

Where do I start?

All help greatly appreciated

Sprackers

I'm not an expert at all on 4L and its carburetors (only work with Honda). But to backfire, its dumping gás or bad timing. Could the float be stuck? I would check if the float and anything related is ok and if the gas screw (dont know the exact name - the one that controls how much gás it gets in) isnt loose.

Hope you can make it

It'd be worth checking the points gap before you blame the fuel system - backfiring is often down to timing, and the points can close up over time. Are your plugs a good colour?
Another thing - the arrowed pipe to the base of the carb hasn't fallen off, has it?
1689065316692.jpeg

I'm not an expert at all on 4L and its carburetors (only work with Honda). But to backfire, its dumping gás or bad timing. Could the float be stuck? I would check if the float and anything related is ok and if the gas screw (dont know the exact name - the one that controls how much gás it gets in) isnt loose.

Hope you can make it
I’m thinking there might be block or as you say float. I think that’s easy to get and have a cursory look. Thanks D Figueira. I will do it and report back

CONDENSER! Substitute another one, check the condition and gap of the points and replace if necessary. A failing condenser causes rapid wear of the points and so it's worth repairing/replacing them at the same time.

It'd be worth checking the points gap before you blame the fuel system - backfiring is often down to timing, and the points can close up over time. Are your plugs a good colour?
Another thing - the arrowed pipe to the base of the carb hasn't fallen off, has it?
View attachment 32001
I haven’t got my spark plug removal tool. I will have a go at removing them to have a look.
All pipes under carburettor seem ok ?

IMG_1472.jpeg IMG_1471.jpeg

CONDENSER! Substitute another one, check the condition and gap of the points and replace if necessary. A failing condenser causes rapid wear of the points and so it's worth repairing/replacing them at the same time.
Hi Andrew
Thanks for your swift reply.
I’ve also found this in my Haynes on how to check. Have you ever checked it like this.
I will report back

IMG_1473.jpeg IMG_1474.jpeg

The pipe I mean goes to the manifold just below the carb, but it's on the other side of the carb - you'll have to stand by the offside wing and look over the engine to see it.
I see it now. Looks all in place

IMG_1475.jpeg

For once (and it's not often...) I agree with every word of the Haynes book. You won't be able to test a condenser unless you've access to some sophisticated electronic equipment. Assuming you haven't, change the condenser. The condenser acts like a cushion; imagine a railway engine shunting coaches. as the coaches meet the buffers absorb the shock of them coming together. In the same way the condenser holds back and releases some of the energy in the spark, passing it to the plugs, as opposed to wasting it in a huge spark at the points. If you've a PLASTIC screwdriver you might be able to see the big fat spark, but given that you're broken down (adjacent to a small French café, I hope...) I'd do the following:
1/ Change the condenser.
2/ Examine the points. If you're happy they're not excessively worn confirm the gap and re-set if necessary.
3/ If they ARE worn or pitted, replace and set gap.
4/ As you're at the roadside, I'd not bother with accurate timing, just loses the distributor clamp, start the car, let it warm up and then s-l-o-w-l-y twist the distributor to get the best running. You can set the timing more accurately the. you're out of trouble!

Those points don't look very clean, suggesting excessive arcing, caused, inter alia by a failed or failing condenser. If that picture is with the points open the gap looks too small as well, although the picture mightn't be showing that properly.

Those points don't look very clean, suggesting excessive arcing, caused, inter alia by a failed or failing condenser. If that picture is with the points open the gap looks too small as well, although the picture mightn't be showing that properly.
I was opening them with a screwdriver.

Right I’m taking your advice and I’m going to go to the nearest Norauto to see if they have points and a condenser.

It’s 10 miles away.! But can you believe it right at the last minute I decided to pack my bike . Unbelievable.

The beer when we get Christine up and running is going to taste fantastic.

In the meantime, if you can think of anything else I should buy at norauto, send me a message and I will get it when I’m there.

Right, I’m off to Libourne.

IMG_1481.jpeg

I went into Norauto and the bloke didn’t even know what a condenser was???
I even showed him the one I bought with.
Never seen one before

Found another place and they had both

Now for the cycle back and fix it and cross fingers.

Backfiring on engine braking generally means the exhaust manifold is too hot. That happens when the timing is too retarded. Worth checking the timing once you are happy with the points.

Thanks jjhad. Always a good point. I did check the timing on my departure it was fine. Will check again

Backfiring on engine braking generally means the exhaust manifold is too hot. That happens when the timing is too retarded. Worth checking the timing once you are happy with the points.
Thanks Malcolm

Back