Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help, Someone crashed into to me

albionpaul

Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience of insurance claims on R4GTL? Someone crashed into the back of me today pushing in the bumper and smashing the lights lens and wing. Also damaged the up right frame the boot door sits in and the wing bolts onto. In fact the corner has been push in so the inner arch is bent. It doesn't seem to have damage the chassis though. I really don' t want it to be written off. Is this lightly?
20141123_175027.jpg 20141123_182117.jpg

• 20141123_182138.jpg
    20141123_182138.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20141123_182158.jpg
    20141123_182158.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 0
Sorry to hear that.

First of all, is it on a classic insurance policy of a standard car policy? If you've got a classic policy life will be a lot easier. So, it probably would be written off but that doesn't mean you can't retain it and still get paid out enabling you to get it repaired. In the first instance - do not let it be taken away to an approved repairer or wherever as once it's gone getting it back tends to be that bit harder.

Speak to your insurer, get a couple of quotes and tell them that you want it repairing. See how it goes from there.

It is with Flux direct as a classic. I shall ring them tomorrow. I did wonder weather I should just try and get some quotes because the chap that hit me could give me £500 cash but I don't know if this will be enough to repair it.

Insurance buddy, forget the £500 cash. Did that once, got into a shouting match with the guy over how much it was to repair the car (I was at fault, and he kept bumping the price up to repair it up)

£500 would also never touch the the amount of time and effort to needed to put your old girl right.

Prob gunna be in a coach builders or something. Like Lobster said, don't allow the car to leave your drive.

Yeah thanks. Having slept on it thats the way to go. Just a bit nervous on the righting it off/buying it back thing. Never had to do anything like this before and don't want to lose my car.

Not sure now if my policy is a do classic one or a normal one. Was bought through Flux Direct, who are part of Adrian Flux, who normally do classic insurance.

We pay insurance for this reason, but insurance companies make it such a pain in the ass, we get scared on using them for when we need them.

Where are you in Dorset? Never seen a yellow one round my way.

Not sure the insurance side should matter much? You weren't at fault so they can't try and get you on being uninsured. A mate told me once to get the best out of an insurance company, go to theirs instead of yours, as it means they don't have to pay your company all the bills and paperwork fees.

I'm over in Bridport West Dorset, and only had it for 7 weeks. I'm absolutely gutted.
Not sure about going to there insurance. First thing is I don't know who he is insured with. Just got his name address and vehicle details.

You would phone your insurance and they will handle it. They will deal with the other driver's insurance.

They will almost certainly write the vehicle off. A good as new repair would be a lot of work and I don't think all the panels are available.

When they make you the offer (full value of the car) you will have the option to ask to buy the car back. Do that.

Your options once the car is bought back are:

Sell it on eBay (or on here) for a quick profit

Get a decent repair done by someone who has parts they can cut out of another car (Renospeed or Renault Reborn could both do a decent job).

Get a local body shop to pull the inner wing back to shape fit a new rear wing and boot lid. See if they can replicate the rolled edge beside the boot lid.

Thanks, I actually have another car I could use as a donor. Don't really want to do this though as the other one is planed for restoration. Will get on to insurance now.

Got a TL sat in my drive, very unsure if she is worth the time of day at the moment. Maybe we can compare our two donors and go from there? Only in Poole myself.

i have got a renault 4 which im breaking and i only need the mechanics and chassis for a rodeo the body will be coming off so happy to cut sections off before it gets scrapped there is no immediate rush for me to do anything with it though20140527_121512.jpg

Thanks. Looks like I will able to fix it ok then. Seems there are a few which i may be able to cut the back bits off. Any chance of letting me know your phone numbers Eoynteenie and mr-reno.

Does anyone know if there is a way I can get a value on my car (pre accident) just incase the other partys insurance argue about the amount of money they have to pay out. The chap who hit me has accepted full blame.

See how Mr-Reno helps you out, that one he has looks better then my TL which I am very unsure what to do with and with the current weather, I can't poke about with it.

my mobile phone number is listed on my profilethe car is not going anywhere for a little while as i have got swap the chassis and bulk head off the grey car so anyway back end bodywork is excess to my needs
the grey car is 1984 and has been vandalised and parts removed but structurally very good
however i am a lot further away the rear wing is also damaged but may have a new one available genuine

Back