Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help wanted! Front bumper installation and plastic side door panels

ryanrenault4gtl

Enthusiast
Good morning everyone!

Need a little help as I'm a bit clueless with the parts I need to install onto the car. I have looked at the manuals and had no luck in finding the information.

I have a new front bumper and the 6 arms which I need to fit it with, along with the rubber chockers, and the 2 curved pipes which are for each side connecting to the bonnet, but can't find the right dimensions of bolts I need to install them. I was hoping someone here might have installed them recently and could point me in the right direction?

I also have the plastic door panels to install on the doors, but with my R4 not being a gtl, it didn't originally have them, but I'd like to install them (same goes for the "goat horns" for the front bumper, where the horns connect from the bumper to the side panels by the bonnet, which again I haven't got the holes there to fit them, I'd still like to get them on somehow). Would anyone know how to get these side panels and goat horns on the car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once the new front bumper is on, I would also like to sell the handmade bumper which is on the car currently, it's a black, single pipe shaped perfectly to give the car a "raid/rally" look, but I'd like to get rid of it along with a full set of chrome bumpers which I have too. So - summary - id like my front black bumper on, and goat horns and side panels, then sell my chrome set of original bumpers and the rally front bumper I have.

Could anyone help? Or, is anyone interested in the bumpers I have for sale?

Many thanks and kind regards, Ryan

As you can see here, this is the front bumper I would like to take off and sell, replacing it with the original bumper I have new but in black. I also have the goat horns and I'd like the side panels on the car too.

Hope you can help.
IMG_20200919_142609.jpg

Regarding the grab-handles (curved pipes/goat horns in your message), these fit onto captive bolts welded to the inside of the outer front wing. But only early versions of the outer wing incorporate these. You’d have to drill holes and then any nut + bolt that looks the right size would do, but I’d suggest stainless steel bolts to prevent galvanic corrosion to the wing, as the inner panel of the outer wing is pretty flimsy. Also a reinforcing plate between the two holes to enhance rigidity, for a similar reason (earlier wings had these as well).

Last edited:
Ryan
This page might help:

View attachment 26933
For the dimensions of bolt 8 in the exploded view, this might be useful:

https://www.melun-retro-passion.com/fr/vis-de-pare-choc/1330-vis-chromee-de-pare-choc-renault.html

Here's a GTL door - sorry, it's the only photo I could find showing how the side panels are attached!
View attachment 26934
Ahh ok, so there are holes in the door to fit them. I've got a 4L trophy, with no holes on the doors... I have the side panels and really fancied them on the car, in black.. Would incredibly strong superglue do the job?

Ahh ok, so there are holes in the door to fit them. I've got a 4L trophy, with no holes on the doors... I have the side panels and really fancied them on the car, in black.. Would incredibly strong superglue do the job?

The fixings on the doors are like raised nail heads rather than holes - if you examine the inside of the trim, you'll see how it slots on.

1601800500905.png
1601802671462.png

Are you able to buy those fixings and install them onto a door?

I have a TL which doesn't have those on the door panels

Ryan
Sorry, I should've said that the outer bottom door/body fixings are holes - this will give you the part numbers, and the photo should make it clearer. 20201004_174157.jpgDSC00379 (5).JPG

These match the part numbers - you may well be able to find them elsewhere:

https://vehicules-anciens.fr/fr/shop/rivets-pour-baguettes-latérales-plastique-type-gtl-va55151-101162 (I'd get a second opinion on these, as I've never had to replace them; actually, I'm not sure whether the originals were riveted or welded).

https://www.all4renault.com/products/a7703081016-clip-fixar-friso-largos-exteriores/

You might get secondhand bits here:

https://www.palace-de-lancienne.com/ (but someone on the forum is bound to have some!)

Instead of rivets or superglue you can fix them with windscreen adhesive / sealant, as used on modern cars with glued on winscreens.

I have a set if you can't find them elsewhere.

Back