Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help with blocked screw...

galaxian

Enthusiast
Hi,

do you remember the post named "will she start after 5 years" ?
YES ! :yellowre: my 4L started and the engine seems to work nice and smooth.

Now the problem is that there is a leak in the Cooling system :evil: and all the water leaks from the blanking plate on the back of the engine (as Clementine had correctly diagnosed by the way)

By trying to remove the blanking plate to rebuild a gasket, 2 of the 4 screws refuse to unscrew and I am afraid to insist, I dont want to brake them otherwise i'm f....d.
What would be the best way to release them ? heating ? freezing ? Degrip oil ?....WD40 did not help.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks and best regards
Galaxian

It's good to hear the engine started and works OK.

I'm not sure how effective WD40 is. Try spraying PlusGas on (paraffin/diesel mix). Then after at least 24 hours try running the engine until it has warmed up and then try undoing the screws while the engine is hot. If they break then the only option is to remove the cylinder head or engine for access and then use a stud extractor or drill and tap the threads. Heat will be helpful.

I have also found careful heating does the tricks .Also a gentle tap to a bolt head with a small hammer can sometimes help .

hammer and blowtorch, never fails.

Although I had problems with the water pump bolt, the heads sheared off then the bolts threads. They were stuck solid in the pump body! The broken bolts wound out with my fingers though.

Back