Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hi

Ian_Fearn

Enthusiast
Hi all, i'm Ian from Derbyshire. Have been checking out this site for a few months now so figured i should join and introduce myself. Have been into french cars for years, mostly Citroens but have recently sinned and bought a VW camper. On the last trip to France i really got into the Renault 4, there were tons about. I even bought a book 'Renault 4, De mon pere'. I also saw one about a year ago outside where i work at Rolls-Royce. I believe now it belongs to Andy Sherlock. Anyway, hello and if anybody has a nice 4 4sale 4 reasonable money in any dowdy colour let me know!

A few of the cars i've got

The 2 year (so far) 2cv restoration
4ig31ft.jpg

VW T25 4x4
2ro0z7n.jpg

My daily hack
359win5.jpg

Welcome. (only took 2 days :D).

The 2CV looks magnificent! 2 years is nothing if the rest of it has been built to that standard.

You don't fancy spending another couple of years on a 4 too? There are plenty that could do with your help. Otherwise I'm starting to recommend buying abroad as most UK cars are a bit rusty. I spot a good one about twice a year (normally 20,000 miles, 1 lady owner, and garaged, but for an unrestored car that's starting to be what you need.

Interest is picking up and some cars are being restored a bit more thoroughly, but the owners are tending to hang on to them as resale values don't really justify the effort.

Renospeed in London (renospeed.co.uk) might be worth a contact. Derek is nice to the cars and sells good ones. Otherwise a trip to France, Spain or Croatia might be an idea.

I would recommend buying elsewhere as well. France is not a country that I know very well, but there was a posting a little while ago showing a large number of 4s for sale. Some of them were pricey, but they were nearly "new". Spain is a country that I know a little better to say the least. Many of the cars in the Balearics are in truly excellent nick for their age. They do not have a mileage on the MoT, but at this age, the importance of condition is equally important. Values are starting to pick up though. The reason for this is that while a 4 might be seen as a skinflint's old heap of crap by many, a lot of people are cottoning on to the fact that they are very cheap to maintain. If you do need any advice on the Spanish end of things, do not hesitate to contact me.

Hey there! I was begining to think either:

a: i'm more boring than i first thought

OR

b: i'm the only person here!!!

:D :D :D

The 2CV has come on quite a bit since the last photo. Its about done now but to be honest its too good to use.

The benefit of the 4 is that the missus is dead keen. We saw tons in France last year but they're not cheap. LHD isnt an issue, our camper is LHD.

There is a place called Sutton Cordiner near Loughborough that sells French imported Renault 4's. I've not been for some time now so that might be worth checking out.

I really like the forum by the way, its really easy on the eye and simple to use, some other forums could learn a lot from this one :cool:

There's no such thing as too good to use. I try to restore cars to immaculate and then see if I can run them into the ground. That's the real fun of restoration for me. If I've done the job properly the car will cope well. Won't look perfect any more of course, but I don't really have the concours mindset (apart from during the restoration oddly enough).

I've heard of the place in Loughborough before. Might be worth a shot. I'd often considered getting a one way ticket to some Renault 4 rich country, spending a week flicking through the classifieds, then driving one home. Could make for a good excuse for a holiday. They made them up until 1992 in Croatia you know.

Hi again, they imported the T25 Syncro into this country but not in Westfalia form.

Theres normally a few for sale, a Syncro Westfalia sells for 6-10k and a decent Syncro panel van or Caravelle fetches around 3-5k depending on condition.

I've been away for a bit, looks like i missed a very nice Savane on an H plate :(

Hi, I'm Louise and I too have a thing for French cars. I own and maintain (apart from welding!!) a 1988 2cv6.

I have a real hankering for an early R4, and (perhaps I want this the most) a R8, and maybe a Simca 1000.

If only I had the Money!!!

Hi Louise, might I know you through the 2cv chaps by any chance?

I've never to this day even been in a Renault 4, there never seems to be the chance. If you want a 2cv, just go on ebay and grab one, there'll always be one that suits you. The 4 isnt as easy to get your hands on though (especially if you're fussy like me!)

hi I am always on the 2cvgb web forum, and am mildly famous there because A) my car is always breaking and I am always asking how to fix it! and B) I had to offer the car for saledue to much rust and no money! Another 2cver saved my life and having never met, he bought the car has welded it and is selling it back for the same price next week!!!

I have done recent Reg days and Raid Sportsmans Arms in North Wales.

Might I have seen you some where? are you a member of 2cvgb?

Louise Bastock right?

The young gentleman concerned was out with me and Tim2cv Favell the night before he collected your car! I've heard its looking good.

I've been out of the circle for about 2 years now but prior to that i was fairly heavily into it.

Yes thats me!!

Tim and Russ are ace! Russ has saved my skin!! There was no way I would have a car now without him.

Is your 2cv on the road?

My 2cv is about 3 or 4 weekends away from being on the road but then again its been like that for a year now.

Ideally I want to sell it as its far too good now for me to use! Bit silly spending 2 years on it but i guess it all just got a bit out of hand :confused:

I have a real hankering for an early R4, and (perhaps I want this the most) a R8, and maybe a Simca 1000.

Hi Louise, http://www.renaultclassiccarclub.com/cars_for_sale.htm is a good place to watch for the R8. It's rare to find an early Renault 4 that's not in need of restoration, but they do crop up from time to time. Early ones are nicer to drive than later ones, but are slower.

The Renault clubs aren't as much fun as 2cvgb. Met a few people from 2cvgb there at Santa Pod last year and had great fun. Hoping for a rematch in the summer - Ian if you haven't driven a R4 by then you are welcome to come along and try mine (though it's not a good one).

Hi Louise, http://www.renaultclassiccarclub.com/cars_for_sale.htm is a good place to watch for the R8. It's rare to find an early Renault 4 that's not in need of restoration, but they do crop up from time to time. Early ones are nicer to drive than later ones, but are slower.

The Renault clubs aren't as much fun as 2cvgb. Met a few people from 2cvgb there at Santa Pod last year and had great fun. Hoping for a rematch in the summer - Ian if you haven't driven a R4 by then you are welcome to come along and try mine (though it's not a good one).

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you shouldn't have showed me that page!!! my bank account is hiding, my boyfriend is wringing his hands, I am considering selling my soul to afford some of those!!! Yummy!!

I didn't make Santa Pod, but do you remember the yellow one? That belongs to Russ who has kindly welded the back end of my 2cv up as a favour. He is the best person around. And Andy Morris who had the black and yellow 2cv with loads of lights, he too has saved my cara number of times!! 2cv events tend to be more about laughs than cars!!:D

Is that an official Renault Club? Might consider joining one. Any details? Big fan of r4, Here in Bangor we have had two brits (one red, one blue) and three French (a grey, mint green and a white) but they all seem to have disappeared. 2cv numbers seem to be on the increase with about 6 in my club, Tin Snails North Wales (all north walian R4s welcome!!)

It was Russ than managed fastest time of the day. There was a strong headwind that died down towards late afternoon so times were improving, and Russ decided to free up another horsepower by removing the cooling fan. Did you see Ian's video of the event?

I think the Renault Classic Car Club is the best of the UK Renault clubs, and possibly the biggest with maybe 400 members. I'm not a member of any Renault clubs, but I really ought to join 2CVGB. I feel there's a bit of a 2CV bias going on there which we could sort out with the addition of a few Renault 4s.

Back