Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hola!

Sarah

Sarah
Beautiful Poppy, My Renault 4 and I live in Mallorca. I am very new to all this, as although I have had her for 4 years and travelled all over South of France, North of Spain to North Portugal with her - I was lucky to buy her in super condition. I have a fantastic mechanic here, but when it comes to spare parts.. it´s all looking to get a bit trickier... I am also running around with, and passed my MOT with a handbrake found from an abandoned something or other somewhere (another mechanic found it for me) but it´s not ideal and I am really keen to find the right one.

So! Great to find this site! Thanks and fins un altre! Sarah & Poppy :p

• Poppy!_007.jpg
    Poppy!_007.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Hola! Strong winds! And we thought it was always sunny over there.

Parts are becoming easier to find these days. I buy a lot of parts from Germany. See their blinkers page. Postage is 16 euros which is annoying (I had to order a 6 volt bulb a couple of weeks ago in an emergency).

A complete handbrake would probably need to come off a spares car. If it's one of those Spanish built cars the handbrake lever in the dash that brakes the rear wheels is specific to those cars, so Spain or Portugal might be the best places to look.

Thank you Malcolm!

Thanks for that Malcolm. I have just managed to get an order with my village spare parts place - they weren´t sure if they could find them but BINGO I´ll have them by Tuesday at just under €20 each - not sure if that is a good price or not? But what a service heh! Next trick is to wangle a handbrake....I´ll keep you updated - but if you hear of any Renault 4TL 1985 left hand drive ones hanging around... please let me know!

Have a great weekend and thanks again.

Sarah
:hug:

Sarah, is your handbrake between the seats or on the dashboard?

If its between the seats (I suspect it is as yours is a GTL) then I may have a spare.

Hi Sarah.
I also live in Mallorca, and am having problems getting parts as well. I have (or had) a spring under the clutch pedal that broke not far back, and cannot get a replacement. You could try the scrappers on Calle Setze de Juliol on the poligono in Palma, or try Bosch and Lozano on C/ Nicolau de Pacs in Palma. The parts situation for 4ls here in Mallorca is not good, and I cannot see it getting better. You may have to get the lenses from Melun Retro Passion in France.

Hola gpovanman! Sorry I have´t replied earlier! I forgot to log on.. silly. Thanks soo much for your email and help - I have since been rather lucky in that my mechanic pointed me to the spare parts shop in Pollença and they seem to be turning up with the goods! As yet haven´t requested a handbrake as ticking by ok... and purse string is a bit tight at the mo! Whereabouts are you on Mallorca? You don´t have any photos of your renault 4. What year? Fins un altre - Sarah

Dear Pepper - thanks soo much for your email and sorry I haven´t replied earlier! How are things going with BB? My handbrake is on the dashboard not between the seats. It turns out that the spare parts shop in my village have access to stuff on the entire island of Mallorca and they came up trumps with the indicator lights! Next step handbrake, but I am a bit skint at the mo so will toddle along with that which I have!
Thanks soo much anyway for your email. Good luck with BB - Sarah

I live in LLuchmajor, and there seems to be a garage in the village that always has old stuff outside, including a couple of 6s. I will have to pass by in the New Year, as there is a sort of spring thingy under the clutch pedal that has snapped, and Renault cannot source this part any longer. If you get stuck, this garage, although a long way from Pollença, may be of help to you. Bon Nadal, i Molts d'anys!!

I had a chat with the garage in LLuchmajor the other day, and they say that a lot of spares are still available from Cardona on the Poligono Son Castelló.

There are 3 4s in various state of dismemberment in Estelcard´s scrapyard on the Poligono Son Noguera in LLuchmajor as well.

My mechanic has just told me I need a new clutch and it will cost new, including his work in the region of €550..... does this sound reasonable.... are there any ways around this....?

Thanks everyone!

Sarah & Poppy

Too much! A Valeo clutch kit can be bought here for about 120-150 euros (if you shop around you may find it cheaper). I don't know about labor in Spain, but here it will cost you around 120 euros. It is best to change the gearbox oil (6-20 euros depending on brand). So there is still a long way until 550€.

Maybe your mechanic asked for genuine Renault parts (hair-risingly expensive, and in fact Valeo in a Renault package)?

If your pressure plate is not scored you can reline the clutch disc (typical cost is around 40 euros) but this is false economy especially on the R4 where parts are readily available.

If you decide to proceed with the clutch replacement, as the gearbox will be removed, it would be a good idea to replace the gearbox oil seals (one on the primary shaft, two on the driveshafts).

you are an angel!

Thanks Angel! You are an angel! Please polish your halo.... I don´t really know much....obviously! But love my car very much and have used this mechanic for the past 5 years and do trust him implicitly... however.. being on an Island (Mallorca) maybe it isn´t that easy to get the parts he needs... perhaps... I will look on, and have already looked on websites in France. But to be honest... I don´t know what I´m looking for! Do you think if I got him to write down the specific bits, years etc I need I may have luck?
Thanks a million again - I really appreciate your reply.
Sarah

If you are buying the parts from Dibauto on the Poligono Son Castelló, then the price may be partially justified, but most of the independent garages on the island buy their bits from Bosch and Lozano,or from Cardona. However, even if he is using genuine Renault bits, either his hourly rate is very high, or he is taking forever to do a relatively simple job IMHO.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks! I´m completely CLUELESS! Can´t you tell.... and I really want to trust this man.... but you are all making me have doubts..... or maybe someone is ripping him off? Here in Pollença Old Town there is a parts supplier and I think he goes there. Could it be that they whack a lot of dosh on top of the price....?
Moltes Gracies gpovanman.
Sarah

Can you do something simpler?
Ask him, how much will the parts cost, and how much the labor is. This is the way all repairs are being done here.
I think that, especially in Spain and especially for this engine you will find the clutch kit easily and cheaply. Maybe from a parts supplier in mainland Spain.

I will go and see him tomorrow morning and ask him. Thanks again Angel. I will let you know the outcome.
Sarah

I will have a look at a couple of spares places tomorrow and get back on prices. If I remember rightly, I paid about 60€ for the complete kit a couple of yrs ago, but they were on special offer at the time as the parts place was having a clearout! Remember that the beauty of these cars is their cheap maintenance!!

Dear Angel and gpovanman,
I have been and spoken to my mechanic. He outlays the costs as follows... thoughts greatly appreciated and welcome please....
Clutch Disc €170,05
Rodamientos (Ball bearing/tread?) €58,00
Aceite cambio marchas (gear change oil?) €18,00
Cambie - (gear change?) €30,00
7 hours of labour at €30,00
+ IVA

€550 APPROX

Thanks! Sarah & Poppy

Sarah, I have had a look at the old reciept for the clutch that I bought in August 206. It was €151, but due to the fact that the parts place was havin a clearout on 4l stuff, I got 45% discount. And I have spoken to my mechanic, and he told me that 7 hours is not out of the question. €500 is a puta fortuna though....

Back