Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

How do I install my mechanical temperature gauge and capillary tube?

Grenuj

Enthusiast
When I installing mech. temp gauges, I should first will need to drill or cut a hole in firewall to route the capillary tubing..OK.
I have determined where the gauge will be mounted on dash..
Where to mount the sender? Existing plug on the water pump? I tried to undo this using a 8mm Allen key... unsuccessfully..
Plug on top of the pump, what is the purpose?
I'm about out of ideas....please help! And thank you in advance for any suggestions or information!

IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1077.JPG

The plug on the water pump is for the eventual pipe to heat up the carburettor base (for some carb models). THere are two of that same size, 1/4 inch, I seem to remember. There should be a bigger plug on the front of the water pump...

Hi Grenuj

The waterpump fitted to the Renault 4GTL was also fitted to other models of Renault. Various plugs and threaded brass tubings were supplied when buying a new waterpump. It was a case of plugging off/tubing the pump according to the needs of your particular model of Renault. The plugs you have at the top of the pump are intended for the brass tubings to connect the coolant hoses which run to the base of the carburettor on a Renault 5 amongst other models for example. The large plug you have already tried to unlock is to accommodate the sender unit for a Renault 5.

I imagine if any of the plugged off holes are suitably sized to accommodate the sender on your new guage and you are able to unlock them, they would be suitable to accommodate your sender.

It might be worth checking with others on clementines which is the best to fit the sender unit to for your gauge as I have never fitted one.

Best place would be at the large plug on the water pump. It's M18x1,5 thread. To remove the plug use a good quality allen socket and carefully heat the plug with a blowtorch, it may had been assembled with thread sealant.

unscrewed! I had to use ratchet wrench.
now i am looking for an adapter...

M18x1.5 (male tread) reducing to female? 1/8NPT? I would not say...
It will be difficult to find..

IMG_1078.JPG

Grenuj- You sure this gauge is for water/coolant-temp? max reading of 100C. seems a bit low to me.If you can locate an oiltemp-gauge they usually goes to 120C. I see coolant-temps up to 115C. (r1223 1397cc) in stand-still situations. where I instantly starts to grow ingrown toe-nails
(-By the by: You'll Always find a Toyota/Toyopet as nr one in a queue :whistle:)
I mounted my coolant-temp sensor in the top rearmost position blind-plate to read the highest temp in the system to be on the safe side...
-R.

@reidalpine , if the oil temperature should be a few degrees warmer than the coolant, what is it purpose for then?
Anyway, my friend run oil temp gauges in two of its Minis for water temp. They work great.
I tested mine, it works..but I didn't with a known good and accurate thermometer.

IMG_0994.JPG Plastic-Dial-Pressure-Theory-Water-Temperature-Gauge-Capillary-Tube-Thermometer.jpg

I finally succeeded in finding the turner who made reducing adapter.
the mounting phase is next...

IMG_1137.JPG

Gauge is mounted under the dash..What do you think guys?

IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1154.JPG
And carefully routed the capillary tube..
IMG_1155.JPGIMG_1156.JPG
I hope the line does not absorb the extra heat from downpipe and reflect a higher temp than what I are actually trying to monitor.

Back