Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hydraulic Clutch conversion ...Anyone?

JonathanT

Not normal for Norfolk
Has anyone converted a R4 clutch to a Hydraulic system?

I've been reading Malcolm's restoration thread on his Gordini R4 with Servo assist brakes. Then wondered about the clutch. Target - a distant project R4 for my son. Thinking it would be easier to operate and more comparable to modern clutches as he would be learning/ just learnt to drive.

Seems like good idea Jonathan.
But since you are going for the R5 upgrade on the 1108 engine you might as well try and find the flywheel that goes with it. It has a 16cm clutch and that gives you very smooth operation.

Ah ha another pearl of Wisdom ... Didn't know that ;)

All 956 1108 1289 1397 engines 76 onwards use a larger crank diameter which has different bolt hole spacings for the flywheel and will only take 180mm clutch
Pre 76 engines have smaller crank and flywheel clutch etc

I do have to contradict you there Mr-reno-139.
My own 956cc Renault 5TL engine from 1978 has the different bolt spacing. But also has a thick flange at the front. I bought a 180mm clutch for it but it would not fit.
I had the same presumption that you have. After actually measuring the old clutch plate I discovered that I needed a 160mm clutch for it.

JonathanT If you can find a thick flanged flywheel for a Renault 5TL you will have the smooth clutch operation.
You can also try a different type of clutch bearing I think.
Regards, Robert

Just to stir this up once more....... Is there a hydraulic clutch conversion from another car (say) that would work on the 1108cc van? I am on the third well-lubricated/oil-soaked clutch cable (two were new, all in a couple of years) now and they all end up a bit sticky and resistant; there has to be a better way!

Someone MUST have done a decent hydraulic swap by now. Answers on a postcard please.

How about guessing that rhd cables get too hot over exhaust pipe
The 5 turbo gordini had the outer cable protected by asbestos ? Heat proof wrap
There is also a massive heat shield on nnwr wing
I am going to state that the nylon inner lining is softened by heat and the inner cable acts like a cheese wire and then makes cable sticky
Try a genuine cable tricky to find now and wrap it in heatproof shielding tape
Also remember the clutch arm pivot bushes can dry out and along with non Valeo clutch
cause problems

Thanks for that Paul; not something I had thought about. The clutch is recent, so I suspect the cable rather than a stiff pivot. I think that the current cable is old stock original, been fitted only 6 months. Lots of heat-shield thinking next !

Back