Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

I can smell fuel :confused:

YellowVan

Enthusiast
[FONT="Century Gothic"]Hello,

After getting our little yellow baby home from the garage we can smell fuel in the cab. We looked under the bonnet and saw what we think is a leaky diaphram? (partners technical term) and a hole in the exhaust. thankfully we have found a replacement exhaust, but im just worried that the diaphram might be an expensive repair. Granted the car has warrenty for 3 months but i dont want them to turn around and say 'its not covered'
Anyone know what im on about? sorry for the rant im worried about her!
Thanks guys
Yellow Van[/FONT]

Is the diaphragm on the carby itself (if it has an accelerator pump)? Or is it the fuel pump diaphragm? On the later fuel pumps where the top and bottom halves are are crimped together, fuel can leak around the crimping when the pump gets old. Replacement of the fuel pump with a new one is the cure. If the car is under warranty it should be covered, but if you want to DIY it shouldn't be too expensive either.

Hiya,
Thanks for getting back so quick! took her to garage this morning but they are shut(I should have known really, i am in France doh!) so will try tuesday. Went for a ride in her today, the fuel is still coming out but doesnt smell as bad. Spoke to MOH and he says that the two halves are held together with screws on opposite sides.

There seems to be tiny breather holes in the top casting just set behind the securing screws towards the centre of the casting. It is through one of these holes that the fuels seems to spit through which soaks the surrounding parts in fuel. I will try to get a picture to show you what i mean.

Merci Beaucoup!:p

Back