Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

I cant bear to see the fuel injection fault post any more

politeperson

The restorator
I buy cars for people, usually 2/ 3/4 years old direct from leasing companies to save clients money. However, last week a fast jet pilot asked me to get him some wheels.

What is so interesting you might ask? well his budget was £600- as he has just bought his wife as new 5 series BMW.

Buying cars remotely at this budget figure is, to say the least a bit risky. However, I have about 1000 part exchange live auction cars to chose from each day and they cover all conditions, ages, mileages and prices.

The brief was something with a bit of like left in it, £600 on the hammer, smart enough to get on an RAF base, MOT, the chances of a few more, and the ability to do the odd motorway.

Well, I bought a 2001 Renault Laguna 1.6 Dynamique hatch with half leather, air con an electric sunroof. It had one owner, 6 services in the book, 8 months MOT, not faults, alloys in base red. The mileage was 61,000 (warranted) all MOTS. The service history backed up by receipts. This was all mentioned in the description of the car, well done auctioneers, as this was just one small lot out of many.

The service history was from Renault, up to 1,000miles before purchase. I felt a bit sorry for the previous owner, forking out loads for switches, springs, engine wiring, engine sensors etc, etc, etc. For what he has spent on it over the years, I could definitely have sorted him out with a "proper" car. (Sorry Renault but what were you thinking? Quality control? ever heard of it?)

The hammer price was £525, delivery to my door another £79. The body was graded "3" and it looked fantastic, no dents scratches or rust.

So whats it like? in a word, lovely. I thought they were handsome when they came out and they still do now I think.

I had been sceptical, then again for a few hundred quid what do you expect?

This model has a ferocious reputation in the trade for unreliability. Especially the 2l petrols (IDE) and the hilarious diesels. However I figured the bad ones will have been scrapped by now, ECUs and gearboxes failing because of manufacturing defects when new. Post 2008 cars are OK by the way.

The new owner was very pleased. Lets hope the Laguna keeps him that way. They cant all break down?-can they?

• laguna.jpg
    laguna.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 283
My family and I all ran the mk1 Lagunas, yes we had a few issues with them, but they were all 10 years old and drove lovely, if I needed a tidy cheap car I'd get a later mk2 as well!

I see the bills and receipts for quite a few so called reliable marques (cough VW, Ford) and am generally shocked at how much people have to pay out to keep them running!

I run a Renault Master for work and they've been no worse than the transits we also run.

Laguna 2s do have a terrible reliablity reputation but surely they can't be *that* bad. They're certainly very cheap to the point of being more or less disposable if something major does go wrong.

Guy who works at the local garage used to work for Renault main dealer. He reckons that from about 2000 - 2005 was the worst period for issues on Renaults. Our Kangoo certainly bears this out - in the last ten months its had new turbo, alternator belt tensioner (+alt belt + cambelt), crankshaft oil seal, starter and then normal wear and tear bits.

Well, as of today it has'nt gone wrong yet!

Back