Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Identification help

zeroboy

Enthusiast
Happy New Year everyone,

I’m considering salvaging an early R4 with a sunroof, but just want to confirm a few details before I begin.

It’s a R1120 and judging by the VIN it looks like a 1965 year model, from what I can tell. I assume looking at the engine plate, it’s had an engine transplant at some point?

And is there anything to be learned from the German VIN plate?

Many thanks

C8CF51AE-3332-4AF1-A6A0-8D474F3B3856.jpeg BD20FA14-BAFA-46D9-9A5E-05BB1B5D4483.jpeg C2AEDC38-BACB-4DFB-B737-3DEACC28087F.jpeg

It's a late 1962 model year - last R1120 for this year was 134758 - so pretty early.
The engine should be an 845cc one, but from a '60s car. Is the block drain plug located on the side of the block below the manifolds, or at the bulkhead end of the engine?
German plate tells nothing interesting, it's just there for administrative purposes.

It's a late 1962 model year - last R1120 for this year was 134758 - so pretty early.
The engine should be an 845cc one, but from a '60s car. Is the block drain plug located on the side of the block below the manifolds, or at the bulkhead end of the engine?
German plate tells nothing interesting, it's just there for administrative purposes.
Thanks Angel. Would it have had the 845cc engine originally?

The reason I ask about the German plate is that I’m in Australia. I thought it might indicate the car was not manufactured locally.

The German plate might be a bit of a red herring, but indicators to local manufacture would be rough roads options, typically a petrol tank guard and thicker front anti-roll bar. R4s were assembled from CKD kits in Heidelberg, Victoria up until 1968 but a couple of points- very early cars (ie prior to the R1123 being released) might have been fully imported.
Secondly Australian features tended to lag behind their European model year release because of the lag in getting CKD kits by boat and then using up said kits once in Australia. For example 3 speed cars with pre-1967 dashboards were still being sold through 1968.
Thirdly, Renault Australia, like Citroen and Mercedes had a scheme to "own a car in Europe" whereby you could order a car to an appropriate spec, take delivery at a nominated place in Europe, then drive it around for six to 12 months or so before putting it on a boat and bringing it back to Australia as a personal import with substantial savings in import duty. You could order a RHD car but get it delivered and registered in a LHD country- maybe this is what happened here.
The scheme might not have been officially running that early but it was quite common for people with the money and inclination to do it.
Cheers
Piet

Thirdly, Renault Australia, like Citroen and Mercedes had a scheme to "own a car in Europe" whereby you could order a car to an appropriate spec, take delivery at a nominated place in Europe, then drive it around for six to 12 months or so before putting it on a boat and bringing it back to Australia as a personal import with substantial savings in import duty. You could order a RHD car but get it delivered and registered in a LHD country- maybe this is what happened here.

Interesting...a German market R4 would not be RHD as is the case with zeroboy's car.
On any car that I have seen this German VIN plate, the diamond plate would have been removed, too.

Thanks for all the information guys, I’ll take more photos and check for Australia specific specs next time I visit the car in a couple of weeks. There may also be some paperwork with the car which gives hints to its origin.

Michael

A few pics of the new acquisition. I haven’t had a chance to look too closely at it yet, but it’s got a few idiosyncrasies:
- the chrome exhaust extension out the rear
- roof mounted rear vision mirror
- home made gear knob
- period radio
- a tow bar!

Will update more in due course.

537DA59E-B380-4057-B52E-5C86F91CE424.jpeg 342563EE-969C-4D5B-A8F0-6544BF2134DF.jpeg 12464033-A7E7-49DA-BD8C-407E0CDB424F.jpeg 843A58E7-6324-43DE-9459-C7E3E770AC32.jpeg 862806D4-FFEF-4683-9225-40190198841F.jpeg 390CBD5F-ECCB-440D-87D2-6163BFB867A4.jpeg

Nice! Looks correct for MY 62 - tubular bumper, tailgate handle, number plate finisher, opening quarter lights...and sunroof as a bonus.
Are the seats present?

Nice! Looks correct for MY 62 - tubular bumper, tailgate handle, number plate finisher, opening quarter lights...and sunroof as a bonus.
Are the seats present?
Hi Angel,
The rear seat is there, but my father is ‘borrowing’ the front for his R4.
Are the hubcaps correct for that year?

Back