Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Importing my 1988 R4

Mikey

Enthusiast
I´m about to drive back from Spain with my wifes beloved R4, i presume a few changes will have to be made to her to be kept in the U.K? Does anyone out there know what i need to do to her? Thanks

Not a great deal really. Headlights can be made to point tje right way, you'll need a rear fog light if there isn't one and a speedo that reads in MPH (although you might well get away without). I presume you want to register it here? If so, make sure you have all the paperwork from Spain, get it MOT'd here then off to your local DVLA office.

Relatively straightforward. Hopefully.

As Lobster says you may get away without changing the speedo -when we were in the UK we ran 2 R4s both LHD and both still had kph speedos and passed their MOTs OK.

See this article on converting headlamps from LHD to RHD

If it already has a (single) fog light you may need to move it from the left rear to the right rear.

You may get away with an MOT in kilometres an hour at an MOT station but Mr Pc Plod or a VOSA inspector certainly wouldn't let you get away with it.

If you don't want to change it you can get plenty of aftermarket GPS speed detectors which display your current speed and would be ideal for just placing discreetly on the dash instead of changing the all the clocks.

I have an older version of this, mines way out of date for the speed camera database but its ideal in Judiths Twingo to let me know how fast I'm going.

http://www.manfords.com/Novus-Delta-Speed-Camera-Detection-System.html

Back