Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Info on R codes

To my knowledge, the indicators were orange in UK and Germany, white in other countries. Until this morning I thought that all spanish Furgonetas until 1979 were R2108, but I just received the 1969 PR785 FASA parts manual, which doesn't list them, but just R2104 and R1123. So, this also adds to Angels list somewhere above: R2104 is an early FASA Furgoneta (among others - I believe it was also produced in France as 5CV follow-up of the 3CV 2102) , preceding the R2108. Some more information about the peculiarities of spanish built R4 can be found on my website www.allez-y.info under FASA R1125. Tonight I will go through the parts manual to see if I can find out more about the 2104-2108 difference.

In the meantime, here are some more pictures that I stole from the dutch R4-club forum:
fles0.jpg

blwm7.jpg

brdq1.jpg

David, do you know where your Fourgonnette originally came from, Spain or France? As far as I know all elevated Fourgonnettes came from Spain (or Portugal), but I thought they weren't 2106.

THAT SUPRISE!!!!!

this is my van!

if you want a photo or clarification tell me!

2106 high roof

David, do you know where your Fourgonnette originally came from, Spain or France? As far as I know all elevated Fourgonnettes came from Spain (or Portugal), but I thought they weren't 2106.

Mine is a 1968 12volt van assembled at Heidelberg - a suburb of Melbourne, here in Australia. I think that it was modified to be used as a Dry Cleaners delivery vehicle. Later in life it was used as a Renault Service vehicle.
Despite the different silhouette, I'm quite attached to its shape by now.

David

Elevated Fourgonnettes were produced in Spain and exported to France. For instance, the french 1973 brochure shows a 'sûrelevée' left of '1973', with the rectangular bumper clearly visible. Ordinary french Fourgonnettes have a tubular rear bumper.
1973_f.jpg

Last edited:
Hi folks,
As you all speak english, I try to too (born in Hamburg, Germany 1959, living in Munich, Germany) so my native language is german.
The trouble with the engines and national european specifications is the different tax systems and trafic and technical regulations on one hand and the series production on the other hand.
Originally the Renault 4 had the normal rear engine of the 4CV just put in front. Easy thing, but it had to be possible to start it with a handle CLOCKWISE. So it had to turn the other way round (clockwise looking on the clutch side whereas the rear engine turned clockwise looking on the cam drive side).
From 1968 on (when the Renault 6 and 12 with the 5 crankshaft bearing Engine from Cleon started being sold in Spain) the old R4 engine 680, 690, 800 was abandoned to simplify production. The received the Cleon motor but in the exclusive spanish version of 852 cm³ (61,4 x 72 mm of bore x stroke). So the psanish R4 got an own gearbox different to the french version (if you get the wrong part, you end up with 4 reverse and 1 foreward gear). That's the main reason they got the type specification number of R1125 respectively 2108.
So the 852cc and 5 crankshaft bearing enigne type R4 is more similar to the later 956 and 1100 cc versions that the french 1123, 1126.
The 1126 by the way is the successor of the 1120 form about 1971 on. Engine changed from 747cc (54,5 mm bore) to 782cc 55,8 mm bore), oil filter, modified camshaft, exhaust-gas-heated inlet instead of water heated and other minor changes. That time the 1123 and 2106 (moteur 800) changed from 26 to 34 PS (or hp) with another different camshaft and a big 32 mm carburateur (but maintaining water heated inlet collector).
Note on the numbers:
although the sports verions of 4 CV (1063), Dauphine (1093) and later R5 (1223) had the 3 as last digit indicating the version, the R 4 (being in fact not so very sportive) had the 3 for normal upper volume motor.
Note on the french CV (Chevaux Vapeur - "Steam horses") fiscaux (taxwise):
From 1955 to 1978 they were strictly fixed to the engine volume (1 litre of displacement multiplied by 5,7294 = 1 CV; and from n,501 on is rounded up. so a 4,500 CV is still classified 4 CV). So the 813 (852cc 5 bearig) and 800 (845cc 3 bearing) were both 5 CV.
From 1978 on, for the tax classsification the gearing was considered too (I know the formula, veeery complicated); so the 1108cc "GTL" versions were 4 CV with long (high?) gearing and 6 CV with short gearing.
Hope this helps.
Note on the country indicators:
on the oval plate there is three digit number starting the second line. 100 is France, 120 Germany, 121 Austria, the others I don't know (yet).
Have fun and preserve nature, it's the last we have so far.
Gunnar Haeder, conducteur d'automobiles

has any one every come accross the code 2103? i know of a 1962 f4 with this code.

i wondered what the difference is betwen 2102 and 2103 - is it just spec details i.e trim?

Mike

I was reading (sort of, my French is not that good...) a similar topic at the 4L-R6 club forum. Look here: http://www.r4-4l.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16271.

Our friend Bram can tell us more...that mystery R2103 could have been a 603cc fourgon (that never officially existed?). Mike, do you have any photos of that R2103 (or the oval plate?)

Info on R Codes - R 1129

According to the 1976-1982 parts book PR 1005, the R 1129 was a LHD model available solely for the market code 568. I think that is somewhere in Africa. From the parts book it looks as if it was (or was similar to) an 1108cc model, with a few differences such as big-end shell dimensions and crankshaft seals (see page sections 14 and 15 of PR 1005). It seems only to have been available between 1976 and 1978 - on page 40.10.1 a design change is shown at model number 10001, so at least 10001 examples must have been made.

Thanks for the info benchseat!

Yes 568 versions were destined mostly to African markets, and also pre-76 ones had a lot of differences compared to other R4s.

Re : R 2103 - the last R4 Parts Book (PR 1104) has a listing of all the model designations, and R 2103 is not included (the elusive R 1129 is). The first R4 Parts Book (PR 686) includes the R3 (R 1120) and the early R4 Fourgonette (R 2102) but not an R 2103.
On the French site mentioned by Angel (21st Sept.) one of the posts states that the vehicle is a "4CV" (4 horsepower) which would imply an R4 (R3s were 3 CV (3 Horsepower)). The net result of the posts on the French site is that members are in considerable doubt as to whether R 2103 ever existed, officially at least. The fact that it is not mentioned in the R3/R4 Parts Books would seem to bear this out. There is also no mention of R 2103 in the books by Sejourne and by Louvray/Pascal.
A photo of the oval plate on the vehicle that mikegtl mentions will give the production number, which would be a further clue to identity. In fact this would probably constitute the only hard evidence that anyone has produced in favour of R 2103's validity!

I have just bought a 2103 1962 van pics coming shortly

Mike, it is not the 2103 you were mentioning on Car&Classic is it? That is an 2108SA for sure, very much like the one listed a few pages back (which I bought a couple of months ago)
I have just bought a 2103 1962 van pics coming shortly
Will you post some pics pleeeease? I'd like to see the oval plate! According to Bram, the 2103 is mentioned in an dutch Renault repair manual but that is as close as a prove of existence that I ever came across.

Back