Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Italian R4 Festival 2023.

Well done harbourseal, maybe we have the start of a convoy, as I hear from the organisers that three of us from the UK have registered also.
This photo was taken at this year's event, with yours truly well in the mix in centre of picture.FB_IMG_1654284625580.jpg

Considering this as our first big trip in our restored R4. We are in Western France, halfway between La Rochelle and Poitiers. What is a realistic daily mileage target, our car has sound deadening so cabin noise is not too bad.

8F930369-8711-4F30-9AC1-C09B4AC75F35.jpeg

It's not an easy question to answer - it depends on so many things. I drove to Italy several times in the 90s (usually in my F6, but once in a GTL). As you know, one of the many delights of France is its incredible network of D roads - perfect for R4s, but you can't rush things. As soon as you stop anywhere, someone will start chatting to you about the car! I used to find 150 - 200 miles a day doable, though, and you'd see plenty on the way. And France is such a fantastic country for camping!
Some of the high Alpine passes are truly amazing:

French Italian border (4).png
Things are a bit different in Italy - the coast road is incredibly slow, the motorways challenging (especially the tunnels), and avoiding main roads is much harder than in France. There are fewer small campsites too.
If you have the time, it's well worth taking things as slowly as you can - have a great trip!

It's not an easy question to answer - it depends on so many things. I drove to Italy several times in the 90s (usually in my F6, but once in a GTL). As you know, one of the many delights of France is its incredible network of D roads - perfect for R4s, but you can't rush things. As soon as you stop anywhere, someone will start chatting to you about the car! I used to find 150 - 200 miles a day doable, though, and you'd see plenty on the way. And France is such a fantastic country for camping!
Some of the high Alpine passes are truly amazing:

View attachment 31208
Things are a bit different in Italy - the coast road is incredibly slow, the motorways challenging (especially the tunnels), and avoiding main roads is much harder than in France. There are fewer small campsites too.
If you have the time, it's well worth taking things as slowly as you can - have a great trip!
Thanks for your wisdom, we are planning on the basis of 5 days each way. Point taken with regards to Italian roads, I once drove from Lausanne to Florence via Genoa in a single day and the tunnel/viaduct element of the route South of Genoa was probably the most terrifying drive I have ever made, tiredness and busy narrow twisting Autostrada was horrible.

When I did this trip back in May it took me three days to cross France, from Roscoff to Grenoble. The first two on D roads, but the third on toll roads, which was less tiring and enabled me to have a rest day before crossing into Italy. On my fourth day of travelling I arrived at the venue in Tuscany. Yes the Italian driving experience was interesting.......

Thinking about next year, and Italy is calling. Any of you road-trip fans up for this?

View attachment 31113

Thank you Mr. Cornish4 for sharing our biggest event yet, we're thrilled to make it very special for anyone who wants to participate!

If anyone has questions regarding our Italian Renault Festival 2023 Renault & Citroën feel free to contact us directly or let us know with a reply in this thread.
Thank you for sharing the passion and love towards the R4 with the world!

Interesting gathering. And not so far from me.... It could be possible to be there....must try to arrange holiday....

I’m up for this - just need a few repairs but I have plenty of time . Gives me a chance to stock up on dry crossaints and pastis to ease the journey to Italy

This is good my R4 friends, we seem to have some interest going on here. It would be nice if we could swell the numbers with cars from outside Italy, and our Italian friends would love it.
Ah, Pastis, one of the first things I buy at Super U. A lovely pre-dinner drink on the campsite.

Hi all. Unfortunately the promised big R4 event in France this year as you probably know didnt happen, but there is a chance it will be on next year, so watch this space. However there is much R4 activity in Italy, so, who on here is making their way there in September? Kind regards Bry.FB_IMG_1670153629152.jpgFB_IMG_1683744659117.jpg

Back