Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Juddering when pulling away

Allan Hogsden

Enthusiast
Hi, I have a problem with my R4 GTL in that when I pull away in first gear it judders really badly. I have changed the clutch, skimmed the flywheel and ensured that everything is well greased etc but it stll does it. any help would be appreciated.

It could be an oil leak onto the clutch. Old (British!) Minis suffer with this & it's cured by changing the main bearing oil seal & then cleaning the clutch.

2015-01-31 20.37.35.png Common problem is if starter has been replaced is the support bracket has been left off under manifold as the clutch cable attached to mounting result horrendous judder guessing your is 1108
i have posted previously on this but probably 5 years ago now will try and find a picture of the Problem

Funnily enough I notice that there is a strange movement from that support bracket when I press the clutch lever. I'll check it tomorrow. Cheers.

Than its most likely your motor support bracket that is broken but you should have noticed that when you were replacing the clutch

Great info guys, thank you. You were right, the bracket is missing so I'll order one tomorrow.
Thanks again for such prompt (and thorough) replies.

not sure the renault dealers will have one in stock the other problem is when you try to re fit it the engine mount under the starter will now be bent and you have great fun trying to line all the bolts up especially if it is left hand drive
have got at least half a dozen on my shelf still as they were always missing off mark 15 and R4
in extreme cases the engine mount can actually fracture right next to the block only removing the starter motor will tell you the condition as it may be cracked almost all the way through from flexing however refitting this bracket should at least cure your problem

got what you may need in stock

• 20150202_123007.jpg
    20150202_123007.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi mr-reno-139 thanks for the help. I have managed to get one and fitted it yesterday. It was a bit fiddly but between two of us we got it on and the difference, just pressing the clutch, is amazing. The engine mount looked pretty new and is in good condition fortunately. Putting a new battery in this morning then for a test drive!
Luckily Renault 4's are very popular here in Portugal - I believe they were actually manufactured here back in the day - so the availability of spares is quite good. There are some real beauties too. I hope to have mine restored to a good standard by the summer.
I still can't belaive someone had taken the bracket off and not replaced it.... The juddering was horrendeous! Mind you, they way they drive over here it's not entirely surprising

if you had posted earlier i could have saved you putting a clutch in for no reason nevermind least you know it's new and should last for a while now

Back