Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

just a Small tip re antenna

reidalpine

Enthusiast
As I'm finicky to the point of the obsessive re drilling holes,so thought I'd try using a "normal" extendandable antenna (from an old table-radio) -Pulled all the way out and stuck up as far into the A-beam I could get it.
From side of parcel-shelf on passanger-side . Slight bend/shape of A-beam holds it nicely in place with NO drilling needed. FM-reception is very good (my signal-meter maxes out also on stations further away)
I thought the metal in the body would work as a shield but apparantly not..So there you are........................ -R.

That's interesting - I've been thinking about fitting a radio to the Gordini. Could you post pictures of what can be seen of the antenna and how you connected it to the radio?

I'd been looking at the antennas that fit behind the windscreen seal but I don't know how effective they are.

Hi Malcolm
-I could post a picture but it won't do you any good as the whole antenna is Completely out of sight. I got it as far up inthere as the top of the A-beam. I used the normal plug and 30cm ant.wire to connect to the radio/cd.
I have one of those electronic glue-on inside of screen antennaes,my experience is they (as they are amplified/12V.) amplify the noise just as much as the music,so all in all not very good.
Added bonus beside not having to drill holes with this installation is there is no tell-tale from outside that you even got a radio in there.. -R.

I have one of these "internal antennas" on the Jogging and I am not satisfied with its performance.

I stopped hassling with antennas after an advice from an automotive radio fitter. He told me to just run a double cable (just like the one used for the loudspeakers) from one end of the windscreen to the other. On its one end I connected an old antenna plug, the other end is free (but I was sure the cables were well insulated from each other, otherwise you do nothing). I threaded it through the A-pillar and across the headlining, but it could be placed across the dashboard in the windscreen demister recess if you like.

I first laughed, but not when I drove the car, as the radio reception was impressive! I don't know if it works for AM reception though (who cares anyway...).

I have an internal antenna and I'm satisfied with it. I glued it just over the mirror. The cable is hidden up under the ruff cover and pushed inside the A-beam.

But my antenna needs a power source so you need to find a cable to tap on.
One picture is in my album, if you want I can do some more.

Angel, your tip is very interesting... But what is an A pillar, exactly? And how long should the wire be to work properly?
Now I haven an external antenna, the one you can screw on the roof edge without drilling any hole... It's working fine (even if I am more used to CD than to listen radio), but i'd like to have a good hidden antenna instead...

I remember that on FM reception antenna length is no big deal (but I may be wrong).
Anyway the R4 width proved successful!

Back