Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Lead replacement additive?

Rich

Enthusiast
I am looking at buying an 1985 Renault 4 GTL 1108cc it is about 4 hours from my home and the majority of the drive home will be Motorway with a 40 mile stretch of dual carridge way. Is it a good idea to add Lead replacement additive? Does a car of this year need it? Did Renault ever fit hardened valve seat at standard on R4's?

Last edited:
Never added anything to my 1991 956cc r4... I am interested in the answer too. Preserving the engine as long as I can is a common task.

Andrea scrispit.

The 4L was designed to run on unleaded, but it runs best on a higher octane fuel, 98 octane is best. When I bought the 4 from Derek Flavell he said it is a good idea to add an additive if doing prolonged motorway trips. But I chuck in some now and then anyway. Are you going to join us Rich on the Road-trip in July with your newly acquired 4? Regards Brian.

The 4L does not need any additive(alloy heads have hard seats) Frenchmen do not put it in ,and i have not ever had a problem with any of my 4s.
Bonne courage

Hi there jonigel, the additive wasn't so much as to replace lead, as you say the 4 has hardened valve-seats, it was just to up the octane of the fuel on long hard drives on motorways. Not a thing rural Frenchmen do very often I should think! Not all additives have an octane boost, for want of a better word. The one I use is made by Castrol. :cool:

The valve seats are not sufficiently hard in the 1108. You can get noticeable valve seat recession over a long motorway trip at speed unless additive is used. For non-motorway driving I don't use additive and have not noticed any problem.

Thanks for that Malcolm, I guess it's obvious why Derek said to use an additive. It's just me being thick!!

The 4L was designed to run on unleaded, but it runs best on a higher octane fuel, 98 octane is best. When I bought the 4 from Derek Flavell he said it is a good idea to add an additive if doing prolonged motorway trips. But I chuck in some now and then anyway. Are you going to join us Rich on the Road-trip in July with your newly acquired 4? Regards Brian.

Thanks Brian, I would love to join the trip but unfortunately the wife will not be letting me, mainly due to a trip to Germany with friends to see a vintage car show, maybe next time :cool:

Hi Rich, sorry you can't make it to Thenay, but as you say maybe next time. A trip to Germany sounds good though, they love their cars too, and our other classic is a VW camper, so Ive got a soft spot for Teutonic cars too. Don't forget the show at Powderham Castle is a week before the Road-trip, it's planned to have a display of 4Ls on the RCCC stand. Regards Brian. Sorry I've strayed off the subject folks.:cool:

And the 956 engine is prone to valve seat recession as the 1108 one?
I have never used additive and the engine still goes well... but I am a bit hypochondriac for my r4...

Andrea scripsit.

Hi Rich, sorry you can't make it to Thenay, but as you say maybe next time. A trip to Germany sounds good though, they love their cars too, and our other classic is a VW camper, so Ive got a soft spot for Teutonic cars too. Don't forget the show at Powderham Castle is a week before the Road-trip, it's planned to have a display of 4Ls on the RCCC stand. Regards Brian. Sorry I've strayed off the subject folks.:cool:

Hi Brian we have a classic VW camper too! The show in German is Bad Camberg the vintage VW show. I cant find any details about Powerham Castle Show, is there a link?

I've bought the R4 :p Will pick it up at the weekend, bought some Castrol valve master plus, tool kit packed, cant wait to get it, never driven an R4 before, the 4 hour drive home should be good practice....

Always use 98 octane fuel and lead adittive!

Asittive is not so expencive, and think it can do more good than harm.

Hi Rich. Youve got me envious now, a VW show in Germany. We had better not mention veedubs to much, might get into trouble :-) Glad to hear you have bought the 4, you know it makes sense, and I hope you have a trouble free journey home. It is a new driving experience in a 4, but great fun. If you go to the Crashbox and Classic Car Club website the show at Powderham is mentioned, but I do know that Rob Doran who organizes the RCCC stand there is planning a 4L tribute this year. Castrol Valve Master is a good product, and it goes a long way in a frugal 4. Regards Brian

Back